Just wanted to say "Thank you" to all!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by LuckyLisa
    on

Good morning, everyone (I’m in Florida, USA),
    I’ve learned so much from being a lurker for the last few weeks. You’re all so kind, compassionate and generous with both your time and your knowledge and I’m feeling ready to jump into the heap of love, sunshine, and positivity you’re all generating and hopefully give tons back, too!
    I was diagnosed T2D in October 2016 at age 51. At the time I weighed 172 pounds (i’m 5’8″). Needless to say it threw me for a loop. In just one year, my fasting bs went from 99 to 185 and my HbA1C was 7.8, I was put on Metformin and immediately cut all carbs and became kind of obsessive because of all the horror stories I’d read about the long term effects of uncontrolled blood sugar. Within three months, I’d lost 25 pounds and my bs was in the 80’s. Then the Metformin started giving me 5-10 ‘Met Moments’ a day to the point where I couldn’t leave the house or, if I did, I had to bring a change of clothes. It was a nightmare. My doc then tried me on a slew of other meds, all which gave me the same intestinal distress after about 3-4 months. I also started getting lax about restricting my carbs and before I knew it I was eating the same way I did before the diagnosis (chips, cookies, Dairy Queen blizzards, milk shakes). I’m a terrible carb junkie! My whole existence could rely on junk food! And, unfortunately, I never got that bloated, icky, headachy feeling from eating all that junk. The more I ate, the more I wanted…..it truly is such an addiction! I had convinced myself after losing that first 25 pounds so easily that I could then move into eating carbs at a moderate level but now I clearly see I’m not able to do that in any way, shape or form!
    So then I was reading an article about the Newcastle study and did some more research on that. I’m not on any diabetes meds, my weight was up to 178, and my blood sugar readings were hovering around 200 way too often and never got below the 120’s.
    I started doing Newcastle (hadn’t found this BSD yet) with shakes. The first few weeks were absolute hell. Constant, ferocious hunger, grumpy, grumpy, grumpy. weak, weak, weak! But I persisted, waiting for that glorious moment I knew was to come when I wouldn’t feel hungry and my energy would be back. It took two whole weeks and then, overnight, the hunger was gone and the energy was back. It was amazing!
    Since May 15th (Day 1, for me), I’ve been sticking to 800 calories, <20 grams of carbs, about 50 grams of protein, and 58 grams of fat (I use and adore MFP). It’s been three weeks and I’ve lost 10 pounds. More would have been blissful but my mindset is completely different and I know I’m in it for the long haul simply to control my T2D (and my vision, my heart, my limbs, etc…).
    Since finding the BSD and these forums and all of you amazing like-minded souls, I’ve been swapping out some shakes and eating more real food as per the BSD 800 plan. And trying to move more, too! Thinking about incorporating some longer fasts (24-36 hours). Fasting blood sugars back into the 80’s so success in the most important way πŸ™‚
    That’s my story….I’m anxious to start a weekly and monthly challenges and to be an active participant in this warm and wonderful world! Thanks again to all of you!
    xx Lisa

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Lisa – welcome welcome welcome. Thank you for sharing your details and journey so far! You have made an excellent start and have found your way here and are very welcome. πŸ™‚ Today is the start of a new “one week at a time” challenge, so feel free to jump in with the guys – you will be warmly welcomed. If you prefer, you can join the 4 week challenge either today at week 3 or wait until the start of a new 4 week challenge next Tuesday. πŸ™‚ Have a look at the “take a look at this” thread for information, “the good eats” and “Salads” threads for food ideas, and the “positive thoughts” thread.
    Kazzeexx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi, luckylisa, we’re in the same time zone πŸ™‚ Our American members are few, but we’re a powerful group! You’ve just
    introduced yourself in a very beautiful way, and I’m very happy that you have found your way here. I was a lurker once
    upon a time, and after reading posts for a few months, decided that something very special was taking place here,
    and I longed to be a part of it! That’s ancient history now, and friendships established here have enriched my life
    beyond measure. I think that all the threads recommended to you are great ones, so I’ll be watching out for you
    on one or more of them. Welcome to “the family”. I’m really looking forward to getting to know you!

πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ Allie

• posted by LuckyLisa
    on

Thank you both! I’m not sure why but your posts just pulled on my heartstrings and made me all teary-happy! It felt so good to just write and write and write and put it all down in black and white. I’m a psychologist so I’m usually at the other end of life story sharing so it was oddly difficult and liberating at the same time. And your kind, sincere, and heart-felt words confirmed for me that I’m in the right place and that it’s good to open up and share the journey!

I’ll definitely check out all those threads and also join a challenge. I know I can’t do it by myself! I’m lucky in that I have an incredibly supportive husband and family but there’s just no replacement for a community of spirits going through the exact same thing, sharing, laughing, and crying, too!

Thank you again……off to find a good place to post a fasting question πŸ™‚

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi LuckyLisa.

This plan works, it really does. Whether your results are super quick, or a bit slower doesn’t matter. The important thing is that you’re headed in the right direction – and clearly that’s the case for you. Stick with it and you’ll see the results you want )and your body needs).

• posted by LuckyLisa
    on

Thank you, dear Squidge πŸ™‚
    Writing or reading your name always makes me smile so you’re a gift that just keeps on giving and giving and giving! Lucky, lucky us!

Please log in or register to post a reply.