Just started and confused

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Gayn58
    on

Hi Just starting the BSD for second time . Diagnosed type two diabetic recently and need to lose about two and a half stone in weight . I am also a vegetarian but I eat dairy and eggs Bought the fast 800 book and impressed with the new info in the book .
    Trying to set up an eating plan but confused with carb content of many healthy recipes . My usual blueberry smoothie I have for breakfast has 190 cals but 27 carb content ! Just blueberries, Greek yoghurt, sprinkle of cinnamon and a small teaspoon of coconut oil . I notice in some BDD recipes Michael has blueberries and Greek yoghurt too , so are they so high in carbs too ?
    Living on homemade soups and salads with egg and avacado for lunches and dinners . Not many vegetarian recipes in book so looking on here for ideas x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Gayn58 – sorry to read of your recent diagnosis, but having done the BSD before, you are well equipped to deal with that 2.5st and make the change you need at this time. There are other vegetarians on the forum and I’m sure that someone will be along with some recipe/menu suggestions. You will probably find a few on the Recipe section of the website too.

With regards to the blueberries / greek yogurt, that does seem a bit high on the carbs, but you haven’t said what daily carb allowance you are working to.You could tweak the quantities in the recipe so that the carbs are lower. Homemade soups, salads, eggs and avocado all sound good. Have you thought about cauliflower or leek cheese? You can use almond flour instead of wheat flour to thicken the sauce, which will reduce carbs. Chard broccoli with a soy sauce, lime, garlic and chilli sauce is delicious too.

Hope we will see you on other threads on the forum, we try to extend a warm welcome to all and share our experience, advice and support and love the opportunity to celebrate successes too. There is a weekly and monthly thread, to which newcomers and old hands contribute, so they are excellent threads to help keep you focused and on track and are good places to ask questions.

Hope you will soon be seeing the results you are hoping for … best wishes to you.

• posted by Gayn58
    on

SunnyB Thank you for your reply x I am a bit fed up of the eggs right now so looking at more cauliflower recipes . I am trying to stick to 30 to 40 for the carbs after reading posts on here .
    Lots of good advice on these forums x
    I was shocked when I checked the carb content of my smoothies but trying to eat more blueberries to help my eyesight x
    I started and gave up on the diet when first book came out and I was pre diabetes but had a bad experience with my doctor who said only insulin would help and I would die without it . He said diet wouldn’t help ! Frightened me so much I kept away from doctors for over two years which didn’t help . New diabetic nurse put me on medication and it made me so ill so she is allowing me to try the diet x
    Look forward to reading the inspirational posts on here and getting well with this diet
    All the best
    Gayn

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Gayn – cauli is wonderfully versatile and there is a thread on the forum (101 ways with Cauliflower I think) where you’ll find some ideas, but also do a web search for low carb cauliflower recipes and I’m sure you’ll find some inspiration. The BSD way of eating has proved successful in resolving pre and T2 diabetics as can be attested to by posters on this forum, so stick with it and give those medics something to think about!

Please log in or register to post a reply.