Is salt allowed in the BSD?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mosaic91
    on

I started the BSD on Sunday. It’s my first time doing it. I noticed none of the recipes in the book seem to have salt in them… is salt bad in the blood sugar diet or is it okay to salt food in moderation? Some of the bean based recipes can be very bland without salt!!

TIA

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Mosaic
    Yes, it is allowed in fact you really need to increase your salt intake. When you start eating a lower carb diet your body releases the water it’s been storing (a good thing) but your body also releases electrolytes along with the water. so you need to increase your salt intake to compensate for this.
    Hope things are going well.
    Jennie xx

• posted by Mosaic91
    on

Thanks for the advice Jeannie. Things are going okay so far thanks – I’m feeling less hungry than I thought i would, which is a pleasant surprise. My overall energy levels are also up!

How long have you been following the plan?

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Mosaic
    Sorry I’ve just realised I missed your reply – I came back on to the forum after a short break on the 9th Jan, posted my reply to you and a couple of others, and then went off again. Hope things are still going well.
    I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in 2016 and started the Blood Sugar Diet pretty much straight away. The results for me were brilliant; my blood sugars normalised, I lost almost 6 stone, my achy joints disappeared, my cholesterol improved and I felt fantastic – like you say, with loads of energy. Since then, I’ve stayed low carb so my blood sugars have always been good but at different points I’ve put some of my weight back on (2 st at one point, and 10lbs during the March lockdown). so have come back and done the 800 cals again. I’ve just got back to my 9st target weight again so for me at the minute it’s about getting the maintenance right – getting those portion sizes right!
    Have a good weekend
    Jennie xx
    Oh, and I also rediscovered my ankles which I’m still thrilled about.

Please log in or register to post a reply.