I'm confused

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Chloee
    on

Hi
    I have started the BSD today full of motivation and have been logging all ingredients in my fitness pal. I am confused though as the app shows the meals at higher calorie content than the recipes in the book? I am following everything to the letter.

Do I ignore mfp and just go by the book do you think?

Thanks

Chloe

• posted by Melanie
    on

Hi,

I’d go with the book. The recipes are all from Dr Sarah Schenker & I cannot believe the book would have gone to print if she was not confident that the information was accurate (I’m in the book trade) & I bet there is some small print somewhere on the My Fitness Site which says they are not 100% accurate – though i could be wrong. I’m justing going with a notebook and Pacer rather than My Fitness as I found it a bit of a chore.

• posted by Salty Stan
    on

Hello I have just started today and met the same problem. I’m going to believe the app for the first week and see how it goes. Day 1 was hard by the way

• posted by Chloee
    on

Thanks for your replies. Think I am going to stick to the book calories. Have just had my evening meal of baked aubergines with lamb and pomegranate. Very tasty but not sure how hungry I am likely to be by the time I go to bed tonight.
    Have only found today hard because I am so used to grazing throughout the day.

• posted by Squidgy
    on

Hi Chloee – yes I found the same thing when logging on nutracheck, that some of the calories in the recipes were significantly higher when I entered them. As I’m using nutracheck for everything else I decided to stick with that.

• posted by Donnadoobie
    on

I think some of the recepies are not correct, I have checked them on several apps and they often come out higher than the book, I work everything out myself.

• posted by Za567
    on

Haloumi cheese definitely has more calories that it shows in the recipe. I’ll check the calorie content of different brands when I next buy them. I didn’t get too worries as I don’t think it’s an exact science. I’m definitely eating fewer calories each day than previously.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Chloee
    I just put a long detailed post to help people with Myfitnesspal. It’s on ‘Wow2 weeks in and what a difference’
    Basically the food info on MFP is whatever you and everybody puts on it, not MFP itself. So not accurate. Anyway I explain what to do about it on that post.
    Hope it helps. Please ask me if anything else on MFP confuses you- which is likely- but after 2 years I’ve now got a handle on it.
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Also there’s a BSD group on MFP – find it in ‘community’
    Penny

• posted by Patsnotcarb
    on

Hello all!
    Chloee gorgeous don’t be confused! Congratulations on starting that’s the hardest part and you’ve already done it!

I use a free calorie king app to check food, I used the book to get recepie ideas initially but then made up my own, mostly out of necessity, I’m a vego.

Years ago I used My Fitness Pal, it is convenient but found the calorie / nutrition info confusing, I was surprised when I realised that the nutrition info was updated by users, unchecked. Maybe double check calories with something like the calorie king app If you are confused about the info in MFP?

As others have said I would trust the book, but there have been other posts questioning the calories your are not alone.

I personally use an excetsize book these days to log food. I drew up 8 weeks, with a day to a page, I find that easier than MFP.

After a week or two I fell into a rhythm, I had a better grasp on the diet, this forum really helped especially if I was confused about something. The initial week or two can be hard but it really does get easier. I’ve just finished Week 8 and I have to remind myself to eat, no hunger or cravings, I feel more alert and have loads of energy.

I think the thing is to find out what works for you and do it! The main thing is consuming fewer calories and carbs, there are many ways to get there. This forum is a fantastic place for help, tips and suggestions.

I got through the 8 weeks with the help of this forum and Halloumi! 😂

Please log in or register to post a reply.