I stopped losing weight and can't work out why

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Andycol52
    on

I have been following the 800 calorie a day diet for 2 weeks I monitor by fasting blood sugar every morning and it has dropped to normal levels between 5.0 and 5.7, however the last 4 mornings my weight has been 96kg and this morning it’s 96.2kg…why has the weight loss stopped? Anyone have an idea.

• posted by Ellem
    on

Hi Andycol, that happened to me too in Week 2. I was losing nothing for a whole week, and then suddenly dropped 2lb overnight. According to what I read, I was still burning fat, but the body fills the fat cells with water, and then the water goes all at once. Stick at it, was the advice I was given, and it will work. I’m just over a stone lighter in 5 weeks., so the advice was right. I now weigh weekly, so don’t worry too much about it and just see what the scales say at the end of the week.
    Elle

• posted by Andycol52
    on

Thanks for that Ellenm, I couldnt work why it should stop. I exercise in the gym and I row 2 miles a day followed by 60 x 30kg abdominal crunches so I thought it might be fat turning to muscle 😀 .

I will persevere, the good news is my blood sugar seems normal.

• posted by Ellem
    on

Ah that’s great news about your blood sugar. Well done you! And yes, I imagine with those exercises you will be swapping fat for muscle 💪🏼👍🏻. You’ve probably already done it, but if not, it would be worth taking measurements, as the tape will likely give you a better indication of change, than the scales.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi Andy and welcome to the community.
    You sound as though you’re doing some serious exercise; do you have access to scales that measure fat and muscle at the gym? That will help you understand what’s going on in your body; if not you can buy a set quite cheaply on Amazon. It’s quite an eye opener to see how much water there is in our bodies and how variable it is.
    Good luck with this way of eating and I’m sure you’ll be very successful.
    Maggie

• posted by Andycol52
    on

Hi I should clarify that my exercise regimen varies from 3 or 4 days a week…not every day ! I found it strange that all of a sudden my weight stayed the same for 3 days then this morning it had actually risen by 0.2kgs (roughly a lb) !

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

That’s still pretty full on Andy 😊
    I’d blame fluid retention – weight loss as Ellem explains goes in fits and starts because of the mechanism of water replacing fat in the cells.
    Your early loss was mostly water retained because of your carb diet- now that’s gone it will be pure fat loss. Stick with it, it will happen!
    Maggie

• posted by Squidge
    on

It’s very common for weight to stay the same for a few days or even go up a little occasionally, but if you’re sticking to the diet the overall trend will be down.

You might find this interesting – http://100down.org/the-whoosh-effect/

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Andy, 0.2 kg is less than 1/2 lb. (1kg is 2.2 lbs) depending how much fibre you ate the day before that amount could simply be the amount “in transit” through your digestive system.

As others have said weight loss isn’t linear, the body doesn’t use up the fat from one cell at a time, it takes a little fat from a number of cells at a time.

It may help to search as well for images illustrating the difference in dimension of a lb of fat against a lb of muscle. Muscle is much more dense than fat so you will get inch loss but not weight change as your body burns fat and builds up muscles in response to your exercise. One of the things I have found helps is to take detailed measurements, so you notice inch loss even when the scales are not changing.

Please log in or register to post a reply.