Here We Go…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Joford
    on

So our books the 8 week BSD and the 8 weeks BSD recipe book arrived yesterday and I am up to page 131! My husband and I are both overweight and intend starting the BSD on Wednesday (I’m out Tuesday night for a long standing get together). I have at least 3 st to lose and my husband probably around 5.
    Couple of questions for you – I drink around 3 cups of coffee a day, instant with a dash of semi skimmed milk and half a spoon of sugar, now I know the sugar has to go but am I better to stop the coffee altogether, if i carry on drinking it should I change to full fat milk?
    My husband drinks litres of water a day (usually with a little sugar free sqash in) but he will have no problem cutting that out, I will struggle with 2-3 litres a day so have stocked up with fizzy water, lemons, cucumbers and limes, is that ok?
    Final I have a stomach ulcer which I currently take Lanzaprozle once a day (although I’ve been taking this for 5 years now I have to question, do I still have an ulcer!) and high blood pressure and take Losartin and Amlodipine also once a day – I will monitor my blood pressure daily as my weight (hopefully) falls, I feel I should let my doctor know that I’m doing the BSD diet but I dont think he’ll be very interested.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Firstly, welcome to both and your husband Joford and well done on making the decision to change your life with the BSD. The forum has a friendly community of people at various stages on their BSD way of life and they are all eager to share experiences and knowledge, support and encouragement. There are some excellent threads, all of which are open to all, so feel free to join any that feels relevant to you. There is a weekly challenge thread, as well as a monthly one. Both of these are populated by old-timers and newcomers, those just starting out and those in maintenance, so these are good ones to be part of for the availability of advice etc.

With regard to your questions, by all means continue with your coffee and swap to full fat milk or even a teaspoon of double cream, as long as whatever you opt to use, you remember to track the carbohydrates as well as the calories. However, if you prefer to drink semi-skimmed, there is really no reason to change.

It is best not to have sweetened foods/drinks, so try to avoid even sugar-free options, as the sweeteners will still signal to the body to release insulin. Your idea to add slices of lemon, lime and/or cucumber is fine though. It can be a struggle in the early days to drink enough, but if you can find a way to remind yourself to hydrate, it will soon become much more automatic.

By all means let your Doctor know what you intend to do, but don’t stop medications unless instructed to. As your weight falls, you will hopefully be in a situation where some of your meds can be shelved though.

Hope some of this is helpful, do shout if you have any other questions and do please join other threads too, where you will be warmly welcomed and find support as you start out. Best wishes to you both for every success.

• posted by Joford
    on

thank you so much for your reply and your words of encouragement. We feel really focused and determined and look forward to keeping you updated with our highs and hopefully not too many lows!

• posted by Verano
    on

The only thing you need to do to control diabetes is to follow a low carb life. Not sure if this post us advertising and should be removed.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sorry V, but I’m not seeing where any advertising might be involved in either of Joford’s posts. There is nothing there other than mentions of BSD and concern about medications being taken.

• posted by Verano
    on

Ahh! No it wasn’t Joford’s posts. Somebody else posted just before my post with a link to a dieting supplement. It must have been removed as I was writing! Sorry for any misunderstanding

• posted by Joford
    on

I saw the reply and it’s been removed, it definitely had an advert in the post, thought I’d done something wrong for a minute 😅

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Ooops!! Apologies for jumping in there, V – I thought it was an odd comment. Shame the techs don’t put something in, to indicate a post has been removed. Anyway, sorry for my unnecessary post.
    Hope you and your OH get on well on your first day on the BSD tomorrow, Joford. Let us know how it goes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.