Help with CARBS !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Burke
    on

Hi All,
    I’m into my second week on the 800 BSD. The one thing I am struggling on is carb counting. I have many post where fellow travelers are sticking to 50 grams a day.
    I am in Australia ,do I follow net carbs or total carbs ? I have the recipe book are the carb counts for Net Carbs or Total Carbs. Told you I was confused!
    Thanks for the help and hope you are all progressing well

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Net carbs are what is important, as total carbs include fibre which isn’t absorbed. Good luck with the 800!

• posted by Burke
    on

Thanks for that Mixnmatch,
    I have more carbs to play with than I thought, that will make the journey a little easier.

• posted by lalala
    on

Oohhhh – sorry I’m a newbie so excuse me if this is a silly question. Does that mean we subtract fibre from total carbs? You’re right Burke that does give a bit more wriggle room.. Hello from Aus 🙂

• posted by Burke
    on

Hi Lalala, yes I have been subtracting fibre, it depends on food labels some have already done this. I am loosing weight so something must be right.
    All the best with your journey

• posted by Esnecca
    on

UK labelling laws put fiber in its own category separate from carbs and therefore the carb count is already net. That applies in Australia as well. It’s only in the US that fiber is considered a subset of carbohydrates and should be subtracted from the total to get the net carb count.

• posted by Burke
    on

Thanks for that Esnecca, that is a great help and has definitely cleared things up.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’m glad I could help. Fiber isn’t converted to glucose like carbs are, so it makes sense that it’s in its own category. I hope one day the US will catch up to the UK on that.

• posted by SnowyLeopard
    on

If you use cronometer.com to track your calories you can tell it to track only net carbs. Not sure if MyFitnessPal does that.

Please log in or register to post a reply.