Hello! BSD newbie here :)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello everyone,

I’ve finally plucked up the courage to register on this site properly and join the forums after lurking around for a while. I’ve come to the point where I realise I absolutely HAVE to do something about my health and weight or otherwise I’ll be looking at a very miserable future! Being tested for Type 2 diabetes on Friday and am also recovering from/suffering with extensive back problems (3 slipped discs and degenerative disc disease) – neither of which are being helped by being significantly overweight….However, despite these and other problems looming over me, I find diet willpower very hard to come by! I’m full of good intentions, read all the books, do the shopping and so on but the minute someone says “fancy a takeaway?” or “here’s some chocolate” and all my determination dissolves. I did once lose a good 3 stone (42lbs) but since then I’ve let it all pile back on and more. So, I’m looking to use the BSD to turn things around. I want to lose a minimum of 100lbs but need to break this down into more manageable goals! I’m aiming to use these forums as a way of keeping accountable and motivated and look forward to “meeting” everyone here. What advice can you give a newbie like me? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Puneet
    on

Good on you for trying again.

i did the same thing. Four years ago when i got diagnosed with diabetes 2, I lost 13 kgs through a similar diet(I was not aware of BSD at that time). My sugar levels were great and felt so much better. However, changed jobs, highly stressful and with in 6 months all weight was back on and sugar levels were again scary.

About 6 months ago I started exploring the idea that i had food addiction. If there was food in front of me i had to eat it. Next three months were a real struggle- I was trying to curb my eating without much success which led to anger towards myself.

I cant say what changed two months ago. I went and bought book , read it and then read it again ,suddenly, a switch turned on and here i am 10 kgs lighter- sugar levels are erratic but they will settle down.

I can still succumb to curries ,especially when my son gets takeaway but have had a naan or roti in two months.

i am extremely satisfied as of now.

I just want to wish you all the best for your venture with BSD.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello Puneet!

Thank you for replying ๐Ÿ™‚ 10kgs lighter is amazing – go you! It’s great hearing people’s success stories, so I’m hoping they’ll spur me on too. I reckon food addiction does play a part – perhaps more so than we realise – especially when we’re stressed. I think I will also re-read the book while I’m in these early days, just to make sure I don’t miss anything important.

I’m aiming to post here often so hopefully I’ll soon be writing about some successes ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi and welcome FLASH ! X
    Weve all done it…lost and regained..many times in my case..
    The important thing is to get up and try again..forget yesterday,today is day one of the rest of yr life,corny tho it sounds
    I was dismayed at the thought of giving up bread,toast,spuds,chips etc, but my friend had lost well over two stone in 8 wks on bsd so i gave it ago
    its not as hard as you may think..the less carbs you eat,the less you want them coz you’re not as hungry.
    Yes Its true those ‘ filling’ carbs were making you hungrier.! Who knew!
    I have now followed my pals example and lost two stone eight pounds in 9 weeks. ( i am repeating the 8 wk cycle now,day one week ten today, coz it is so do able)
    My saving grace is Fage fullfat greek yoghurt..i have it every day,its creamy and delicious. Plus its lovely to put some butter on yr greens! Thats one great thing..its a fullfat diet! No low fat trans fat spreads or low fat desserts loaded with sugar for us!
    Drink plenty of water,keep an eye on yr cals and carbs,move more,and you may be delighted with the results very soon! Read asmuch as you can on here…tons of help and advice.
    Kick The Carbs To the Kerb! ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„ xx

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello Yowser!

Thanks for your welcome ๐Ÿ™‚ Wow – 2 stone 8lbs in 9 weeks is absolutely amazing, congratulations! I’m pleased to hear that people think it’s easy to do this beyond the typical 8 weeks. I like the idea of it being a lifestyle rather than a diet. “Diet” just sounds horrible and restrictive! I’m already a Fage convert – it’s great and does seem to keep me going. I tend to have it with some berries which makes for a good breakfast, or a smaller helping as a snack. Butter on greens – now there’s an idea I can get on board with! Must do better at drinking water though. Moving around is currently quite difficult for me but I get up from my desk every hour and pace the corridors. Soon I will try walking to and/or from work. I did give that a go a few weeks ago but my back isn’t up to it yet ๐Ÿ™ Am loving reading through the forums. Collecting up lots of tips and being inspired by people’s journeys and successes! Thanks again for your reply ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Flash – welcome.

There are lots of us around who have done more than 8 weeks on the BSD. After 38 weeks I’d lost 92 pounds, taking me one pound below my target weight.

I was type 2 diabetic and had back and mobility issues. Now blood tests are normal, mobility much better and much less pain.

You’ll get lots of support on here. Any questions, just ask.

• posted by Flash21
    on

Hello CaptainLynne! Thank you for the welcome.

92lbs?! That is astonishing! What a result – you must be over the moon. And to keep going for 38 weeks is incredible ๐Ÿ™‚ It gives me hope that it can be done, especially as you sound similar to me. I’ve just had some blood tests and will get the results early next week. I am going to start the BSD in full on Monday. Not sure it’s great timing with visitors and some trips planned but then I thought that’s going to happen anyway and I’m going to need to learn how to cope with it/adjust my WOE so why not start now! Fingers crossed I won’t be derailed before I’ve even got going though.

These forums are wonderful. I am pretty much addicted to browsing and reading everyone’s stories! Maybe this’ll become my new go-to whenever I fancy an after-dinner treat. I shall distract myself by all the successes of NOT doing that!

One question: did you do your 38 weeks on the 800 plan or on one of the other versions, and was it constant or with any breaks?

Thanks again! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Flash

I did the 38 weeks on the BSD 800 plan, keeping carbs low. It was constant – when I was away from home I watched the carbs and portion sizes although I couldn’t count the calories. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

• posted by Flash21
    on

That’s good to know, CaptainLynne! 38 weeks is fantastic ๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.