Following this diet with no gallbladder

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Carren
    on

Hi 🙂

Some years ago I followed the 5:2 fasting diet for about a year, primarily to help lose some weight. It definitely worked but somewhere along the way I “fell off the wagon” and drifted back to my old ways. I had my gallbladder out a couple of months ago so have been keeping my diet fairly low fat to avoid any possible bowel issues, which are common after a cholecystectomy. I am keen to start back on the BSD – probably at this stage without the fasting as I’m not sure how fasting might affect me given that my liver is now constantly drip feeding bile, rather than the gallbladder only releasing it when needed.

I also suffer from some indigestion and reflux. I was on omeprazole for way too many years but decided last year that I was taking myself of it. PPIs have been associated with way too many health risks – I’m no longer willing to take the risk anymore. My reflux isn’t severe. Some weeks I go with almost no reflux. Other times I need to take 1 quick-ease every night before bed. I am starting to suspect that carbs may be triggering it. So I need to figure out what to eat in place of bread (I only eat the high fibre, high protein rye based bread but I’m not sure this is as good for me as I thought it was). I do eat potatoes, pumpkin, Kumara and yams – which I assume are all high starch veggies. Giving all of these up is going to be a challenge to say the least.

Has anyone here made this work post cholecystectomy or and/or with reflux? Any advice or suggestions welcome.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi,

I’ve been doing the BSD since Jan 1st and now on maintenance as I’ve reached my target weight.

I had my gallbladder out several years ago. In my case I’ve had no digestive issues since. Doing the BSD has had no impact on that and vice versa. I remember being told to reintroduce fat gradually into my diet to see how well I tolerated it, so it would probably be wise for you to change your eating habits more slowly, especially as your op is quite recent.

Fasting is quite new to me. So far no issues with that. I hadn’t considered it a potential problem, so will keep that in mind.

Don’t know what kumara is, but yes, all the others are high carb, so not good choices on the diet. I’ve found chick peas, kidney beans and butter beans to be good filling foods, and they’re not high in fat.

Please log in or register to post a reply.