Feeling a combination of terror and excitement

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GingerSam
    on

Hello All
    My husband and I have decided to start the 8 week 800 calorie scenario starting Monday 7th May. We are away this weekend and plan to use next week to properly plan each and every meal for when we start. Like many people on here I am sure, I have been here many times before with different programmes and I have just gradually got bigger and bigger. I am currently 52, 5ft 5 inches and a shade under 15 stones. I am convinced I am slowly but surely committing suicide and I want it to stop.

I would love to know how people have found this to be different from other diets? Is it a more sustainable way of eating?

Thank you

• posted by Verano
    on

GingerSam I think the fundamental difference is that this is a low carb healthy(high) fat way of eating. After years of being told the only way to lose weight was by eating low fat it does take a while to internalise fat as being,not just good for you, but very good. The important thing is the number of carbs you eat and also the type of carbs. Good carbs come from leafy green vegetables. Not all carbs are created equal. Most people can lose weight on 50g a day but for some people a lower figure around 20g is required. It’s a bit of trial and error. Use these boards to get as much information as you can and shout out if you need help. The chances are somebody has had a similar problem and may have a solution. Good luck and enjoy your journey. It will really help that your husband is doing it too.

• posted by GingerSam
    on

thank you Verano. I have been reading the forums since last night and feel so inspired by some of the stories. I can’t remember the last time I ate because I was hungry so that is going to be a new sensation!

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome, WELCOME, GingerSam and O/H! This is a new adventure, and one that can transform your lives πŸ™‚ Reading
    the threads is a great way to get to know us, and I look forward to getting to know you! You’ve posed an interesting
    question for those of us who have been maintaining losses for a long period of time…I think what separates a low
    carb, medium protein, high (healthy!) fat diet is that is truly a way of life (WOL) and not a “diet” per se, after which
    you return to an everything in moderation previous lifestyle. The taste for bad carbs and sugar disappear over time
    and the program is highly sustainable for that reason. Planning ahead in the beginning is key, so using a week to
    prepare sounds like an excellent idea, and having your husband “onboard” will be both an asset and fun! πŸ™‚ When you
    officially begin on March 7 you will be restricting both calories and carbs, so if you’re of a mind to, it might be
    helpful to begin to cut back gradually on bread, pasta, rice while you’re in the planning stage. Some feel that this
    minimizes the chances of “carb flu” when you start. Not everyone is destined to have it, but some do. Pop in if
    you have questions, there is a lot of knowledge and experience here, and the only thing that I’m more passionate
    about than this WOL is probably sharing it with others! This WORKS, GingerSam πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚
    Best of luck to both of you!

Allie

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi GingerSam and welcome. I like your question! I have arrived here via SW (once) and WW (4 times I think). I am now 1 stone within my healthy BMI, and stabilising. In addition to Verano and Allie’s comments, I would add
    1) after the first few days, you simply don’t feel hungry. Having more fat in your diet leaves you satiated, and avoiding most carbohydrates stops the endless ups and downs of craving, and yet more craving.
    2) it is very motivating because the weight does keep coming off .
    3) it is relatively easy to find suitable food at social events, and to cook for the family. You will find some lovely recipes on here – particularly those posted by Luvtcook.
    4) It doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. When I think back to all those WW meetings, WW products with a list of ingredients as long as your arm ….
    5) You have an excellent support website, with many people ready to help, all of whom are working out their own best way to live healthily.

Very best wishes to you both. It is an exciting and rewarding journey!

• posted by GingerSam
    on

Thank you Alliecat. Your reply is so helpful. I had already thought about gradually cutting out stuff I know I won’t be eating once I start properly and your response has confirmed that I should do that. πŸ‘. I am more excited than scared now

• posted by GingerSam
    on

Hi Caron. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I was particularly interested in your comment about the fat and it’s effect on appetite. What do you feel are the easiest ways to add good fat to this diet? Thank you again

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi GingerSam. My major sources of fat are full fat Greek yoghurt, avocado, nuts, eggs, and oil in cooking/dressings etc. Before starting BSD I was in full-blown (and ineffective!) diet mode – no skin on chicken, low fat this and that etc. So it took time to adjust to more normal eating. I don’t go out of my way to add fat, but simply eat more naturally now.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi GingerSam,
    Its still quite a culture shock to me that I am trying to loose weight but can eat fat. – Double cream or full fat milk in your coffee, baked cheese, veg cooked with cheese (I like aubergine cut in half, put garlic in slots, cook for a few minutes in the microwave put cheese on top of the aubergine and return to the microwave until the cheese has melted.) or veg cooked in butter. Scrambled eggs with some cream cheese stirred in. Omelette. You will find recipes for “crisps” made from melted cheese on the forum.

Obviously you need to consider the total calories as well, but my experience (I have been on this way of eating for 6 months now) is that my appetite has reduced (and I recognise the difference between being thirsty and hungry) so I tend to have a couple of coffees in a morning, and save most of my cals for late afternoon/evening.

Please log in or register to post a reply.