Exercise on the BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Ian Spencer
    on

I discovered that my blood glucose is in the pre-diabetic range on 2/1/18. I’m using the BSD to get this down & lose weight. I weighed 93.6kg with a BMI of 25.9. This thing is that I run about 40 miles a week. I find it hard to stick to 800 calories a day & still run. I’ve modified the BSD by having unsweetened porridge for breakfast but I’ve finished some races feeling quite faint. Any suggestions? Should I just add more complex carbs?
    I plan to get my weight down to 79kg, to overcome, what I suspect is insulin resistance, then switch to the 5:2 diet, to maintain that weight.

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Ian, I’m no expert but if you take a look at Mark Sisson on Mark’s Daily Apple, he talks a lot about ‘chronic cardio’. As I understand it, after a certain level of exercise/heart rate, you no longer burn fat so he suggests moderating exercise levels. Mark was a marathon runner and iron-man competitor and his Primal way of living sits very well with the BSD.
    Good luck with everything.
    SSB

• posted by Ian Spencer
    on

Thank you SSB. That sounds interesting. I’ll do that. The good news is that I’ve lost 3kg in the 1st week 😊
    Best wishes, Ian

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

Hi Ian – that’s amazing! 😊. Fab news.
    SSB

• posted by SaltySeaBird
    on

…you could also take a look at Mark’s book – The Keto Reset – it’s low-carb but going into ketosis, which may not be where you want to be at the moment, however, Mark never separates diet from life-style so, again, some great advice about exercise.
    Please believe me, I’m not promoting Mark – I just find his approach very sensible and I originally came across him through one of MM’s books.
    SSB

Please log in or register to post a reply.