Diabetes in the family

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Scottydog
    on

Hi all. I’m not diabetic/pre-diabetic but several close family members are. I got Dr M’s book about the blood sugar diet for one of my sisters, who really struggles with her eating habits and now takes insulin for type 2.
    I have read the book and like the concept and the diet has inspired someone else I know to eat healthily and lose their pre-diabetic status.
    I do have that terrible ‘spare tyre’ but the rest of my body isn’t fat, and I’m classed as ‘obese’, so I really want to prevent possibility of diabetes in the future. I’m now 67, almost 68 years old and have had high blood pressure for years (take medication for that).
    I want to try the 8 week diet in hope I can lose that fat around my middle.
    However, although I like many of the vegetables and oily fish and seafood in the recipes, I have recently had a severe attack of gout. Some of the veg I like (e.g., cauliflower, asparagus) and oily fish are contra-indicated, whereas potatoes are recommended. So – a dilemma if I have to try to balance one ‘diet’ with another.
    Any help/support to get started greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Welcome to the community, Scottie! You will find a lot of friendly support here. As a
    formerly morbidly obese lady, I hear you that fat around the middle, the visceral fat, is
    the most damaging to our health. The BSD burns it! Would it be possible for you to do
    some research on anti-gout diets, and see what foods are permissible on both
    eating plans? I might start there, rather than adding in potatoes…
    I wish you much success!

Allie

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome Scottydog – it might seem that your two requirements clash, but I think they should dovetail together quite well. The BSD does not centre around oily fish as a source of protein and does not require that you have to eat cauliflower and asparagus. I suggest you choose above ground veggies that fit in with the restrictions for gout and similarly choose protein sauces that match as well.

Yes factoring in the gout element, makes things more complicated, but actually getting to grips with the BSD is quite a big learning curve anyway, so factoring in an additional element shouldn’t prove too hard. Providing you avoid high carb foods for the BSD (potatoes, rice, pasta, anything cereal based or with high sugar content), include healthy fats, hydrate well and eat plenty of above ground veg, you should be fine. Are potatoes recommended for improving gout, or are they just low purine? Doing a quick search, as I understand it a diet high in Vit C is recommended for gout and that should be quite compatible with the BSD.

I’d suggest giving the BSD a go if you are keen to reduce your middle and the visceral fat accumulated there and shout out if there are any specific foods you are concerned about. Someone will respond for sure and help you figure it out. It’s okay to make up your own menus, so don’t feel you need to stick ridgedly to the recipes and menus in the book. That way your should be able to find a way to eat both for BSD weight loss and gout control. Just be sure to calculate the calorie content – and it’s worth tracking the carb content as well. There are apps like myfitnesspal and fatsecret which can help with tracking these elements for you.

Whatever you decide to do, best wishes for success on both fronts. If you decide to try the BSD, do make the most of the forum and join any thread you feel relevant, as you’ll get a warm welcome and there’s a lot of knowledge and support out there.

• posted by Scottydog
    on

Thanks for your reply. Yes I would have to be careful in choosing what to eat and keep my diet as varied as possible to be motivated to achieve the weight loss.
    The advice re gout is to ‘avoid’ certain foods or to eat some things ‘in moderation’. Dairy products and eggs are OK so that fits well with the BSD. I admit I succumbed to a gorgeous crab salad a few weeks ago, when on holiday, and didn’t get a flare up of the gout. So maybe I could do a bit of trial and error with oily fish/seafood. Perhaps an occasional meal containing those won’t harm.
    I don’t eat large meals but I’ve never eaten a lot of veg or fruit. Last week I increased my intake of veg/fruit since reading about the BSD. Although I haven’t started the diet as such, I have lost a 2 or 3 pounds in weight in a few days.🙂

• posted by Scottydog
    on

Hi SunnyB. Thanks for the encouragement. It’s the low purine content of foods to consider with gout.
    Lots of water to drink is also recommended. Fortunately my tap water is very palatable so I don’t need to filter it or add any ‘flavouring’.

Please log in or register to post a reply.