Day eight of the eight week program

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Shauny
    on

Hi. I started the program last Tuesday and at this stage – unsurprisingly – I think its an horrendous diet. I am not sure that I have ever lived on so few calories and I have had, as they say, an unhealthy relationship with food for certainly the last ten years. I love carbs and the absence of bread, potatoes and pasta in my life is causing acute depression. I also understand that several local takeaways have posted a profits warning.

Having said that, I have lost 11 lbs in seven days, which is truly incredible.

I realise that he next seven weeks will just be the start of a new lifestyle, if I am to succeed in my goal to be healthier in my middle age.

If anyone would like to buddy up in order to provide and receive moral support, I would welcome that. To everyone else, good luck with the diet.

Shaun

• posted by fat girl slims
    on

Hi Shaun, 11 pounds in seven days is truly remarkable. I am just finishing the book right now. I am off on holiday next Friday so guess I will wait until I return to do this until xmas. Your message has given me real hope, thats such a lot of weight banished!

Mel

• posted by merope
    on

Hi Shauny,
    I definitely agree with you. I have started and it is my 3rd day, I keep reminding myself, I need to be patient, it is only 8 weeks.

I am always hungry, and constantly thinking about food! I have read in the book that the first 2 weeks is going to be very difficult, so I am hoping it will get easier.

In 3 days I have lost 4 lbs already so a great motivation. I am using the recipe book and 8-week plan.

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

Hi Shauny,

Well done for losing 11 lbs in 7 days. That is amazing. I usually post on a different thread, but I am happy to give you support and if I can advice (but I am a learner too). There are many wonderful and knowledgeable people on here. I make it a habit to read the posts every day as there is always something that helps.

One thing I would say is…please change your opinion from “I think its an horrendous diet.” If you believe that, you will find it difficult to sustain it. The depression you are feeling probably isn’t because you are missing white carbs, it’s more likely to be your brain telling you it is what you want to eat. It is like people who give up smoking…for a while they complain that they want a ciggie, but after a week the nicotine is no longer in their body and it is the habit they miss. I gave up white carbs last October and really struggle if I have to eat them as they are alien to my beliefs now. Sorry if this sounds preachy…it isn’t meant that way.

I can tell by your post you have a wonderful sense of humour and you will do well on this forum. Drinks lots of water, keep trying and move more. You will get there, just like so many others.

Stay well.

JoesNonna.

• posted by Shauny
    on

Enjoy your holiday. Hope the Sun is shining.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Shaun
    Sorry you are struggling, but isn’t that result in just 7 days worth it? Speaking as someone who have been with the way of life of 18 months now, I can pretty much guarantee that things will get easier, on an almost daily basis . As you progress, you will find that your palate and your appetite will change, your desire for the carbs drops off and the hunger pangs subside. It is your body’s previous reliance on carbs, that is driving the desire for them, but it won’t last.

It is important to use a good portion of your 800 cals on fat, as this is really important for A) making you feel full sooner and B) staying feeling full for longer. Try not to dwell on what you can’t have in this way of eating, but think about all the yummy things you can have. There are lots of really simple tasty things, even a non-cook can manage to throw together. Take a look at the ‘Review, Renew and Refocus ….’ thread, where some of us recently posted some simple food ideas.

It is important not to think of this approach to eating as a short term change, the low carb model needs to become your default position, when it comes to what you consume in the long term. Yes, the 800 cals is for eight weeks (unless you have a lot to lose and want to continue for longer), but there is no going back to the way you have eaten in the past. That was the reason for you beginning the BSD in the first place, so returning to that pattern will simply put you back where you began.

If you are struggling with the thought of eight weeks, why not join the ‘Spring or Fall, a Challenge for all …. ‘ thread, where we aim for four weeks instead of eight and a number of us post results etc. The first week finished yesterday, but it doesn’t matter that you are a ‘little late to the party’, you’d be very welcome and have the benefit of tapping people who have been on the BSD for sometime, for info. We tend to run these challenges back to back, so if you don’t join this one, watch out for the next.

Hope you stick with the BSD and achieve your personal goals. Best wishes and I’ll look forward to reading of your progress.

• posted by Shauny
    on

Thanks for all the comments folks. Changing the habits of a lifetime was never going to be easy for any of us, was it? But we have all made the commitment now, which is a start. Enjoy your holiday Mel. Eat, drink and be merry. I had a weekend away with friends just before I started and the memory of all that indulgence is helping me to stick with the program.

Thanks to JoesNonna for the advice. It was a bit preachy, but I think I can take it. Everything you say is true and I recognise that. Not sure I will ever struggle to eat the white carbs though!

Merope. I feel your pain, but four pounds in 3 days would make many traditional weight watcher cry. Think how much lighter you will be at the end of your first week. I know…doesn’t really help with the food obsession thing, but be hard on yourself and get to the end of the first week. Its a great feeling of achievement. Best wishes to you all. See you at the finishing line?

• posted by Shauny
    on

Thanks SunnyB for the comments and the invitation. I will stick with the eight week program for now. Its what I have psyched myself up for, and its probably not as bad as I made out in my original post. I am feeling a little sorry for myself, but I will get over it.

• posted by merope
    on

I find that squeezing lemon into my drinking water, really helps with hunger attacks, and makes me feel better.
    I hope lemon juice is not affecting the overall diet programme..I used half a lemon since morning.

4 weeks is also an option, if after 2 weeks, still feeling a bit down, I’ll definitely consider 4 week then maybe switch to 5:2

• posted by Minilyndsay
    on

Hi Shauny

I am on day 3 and looking for a buddy too. Your results are amazing and very motivation?

In 2 days I have dropped 4lbs but more importantly my blood sugars have dropped by 0.5!

I am struggling mostly with ideas for packed lunches in work? Any ideas are welcomed 👍

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

The depression can actually be part of the ‘carb flu’ withdrawal symptoms, they are not just physical symptoms people experience. Just be thankful you are are not at the full blown ‘flu’ end of the spectrum like some people on this forum were at the beginning. I can attest to the fact that it is possible to have a healthier relationship with white carbs again after reaching target without piling the weight back on, at least provided you are not full blown type 2, in which case it comes down to what spikes your blood sugar. Although I now have many more non white carb favourites to fit in so automatically tend to eat less of them, I am now eating sugar, potatoes, bread, pasta and rice again in moderation, and am still at target after 6 months maintenance.

• posted by Shauny
    on

Hi Minilyndsay.

I tend to take soup or salad to work, neither of which are particularly inspiring. However, i’m a vegetarian and my partner got some quorn cocktail sausages for me which are less than 240 cals for the entire pack. Makes a very satisfying lunch to snack on or chop half the pack up and put it with some vegetables and gravy. Obviously, you need access to a microwave. Quorn also do a range of chicken, ham or beef style slices. Fruit salad with natural yoghurt hits the spot as well. Hope you continue to do well.

Shaun

• posted by Shauny
    on

I have felt quite bloated since yesterday? Got on the scales and have lost another 1.5 lbs, but the old tummy just doesn’t feel right. Guess there will be lots of weird feelings like this as my body adjusts to the lack of carbs and sugar. I agree that the recipe book is worth the purchase. The cauliflower rice works well and I loved the beetroot and apple soup. My partner has adopted a less strict version of the diet. She is not limiting herself to 800 cals but is following the principles of the mediterranean diet and she has lost four pounds in a week. She has made much more use of the recipe book than me, given that she is a heathen meat and fish eater.

Please log in or register to post a reply.