Cramps day 4

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Pattyfatty
    on

Hi I started on 16th august and yesterday while in the middle of a ski session my hands started to cramp up ie I had to unbend my thumb with my other hand. It was really painful. I’m wondering if this is from dehydration or lack of minerals because of vlcd with heavy excercise

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, as it is only day 4 it is unlikely that you are suffering from salt depletion but you will be losing fluid as the fat is flushed out so it is something to consider. For this reason you should be drinking plenty of water (around 1.5 to 2 litres daily – a bit more if you are in a hot country) but you should be adding a small amount of pure salt to your food, just a sprinkle on your egg or in your veg. Hopefully you are not eating processed or heavily salted foods and, although better for you, you still need a bit of salt. Just another thought. You are doing skiing, is it possible your grip is causing cramps. I swim regularly but sometimes I get cramp in my feet if I push off from the side or turn too quickly. Same as I get stiff, sore hands when I do a lot of writing as my hands are not used to holding a pen for long periods.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I found an article with the following information very helpful when working out how to respond to cramps myself.

One of the major causes of cramping is lack of proper hydration from the get go – not drinking enough water period! Also, nutritional deficiencies play a major role here – if you are not getting enough magnesium in your diet of which it is now predicted that 65% of Americans are deficient in magnesium, the Diva of Nutrients. Potassium is usually not a nutrient deficient issue because we hold potassium inside the cells but if we get dehydrated, we lose potassium as we sweat and the body’s need for hydration increases.

Potassium or Magnesium Deficiency? Which Is It?

When and where cramps occur – calf, toes – will tell you what mineral you are deficient in.

Ever get cramp in your calf right when you are warming up and just started exercising – that is magnesium deficiency.
    Cramping during the end of exercise or right after exercise, is usually caused by a potassium deficiency.
    Toe Cramps or leg cramps at night – Magnesium Deficiency

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Thanks for that JGwen. I get the most hideous toe cramps when my feet are cold. I thought it just was because my feet are cold! Very useful! 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Its strange that the location of cramps has changed for me since this WoE, I used to have the bog standard pins and needles type of cramp, but just lately the cramps were on the top of my ankle and in the toes. – I have started added a magnesium supplement daily and now I only get cramps if I forget to take the supplement.

I did read before that the rule of thumb was if you have cramps if you are not being active its magnesium, and during activity its potassium.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have cramps because I am on statins so my doctor has tried to let me come off them for a couple of months to see how it goes. One month no statins no cramps, 2nd month started statins again and cramps returned, put up with it for 2 weeks to make sure it wasn’t a coincidence. Still had cramps so cut tablet in half and it seems to be better. Doctor recommended magnesium tablets for the cramps which I duly bought and took and he hadn’t told me that they cause fluid retention and I gained 3lbs in just over a week. They have gone in the bin. Finally, my cure for night time leg cramps is soap in the bed. Just a small bar like you get in hotels, always works for me.

• posted by WoodDuckie
    on

OH MY! REALLY? My daughter in law has DREADFUL leg cramps at night and has been taking magnesium for them! AND she has added a few kilos . . . I am going to suggest the soap and see what happens . . . Any idea what the theory is behind this please?

• posted by yippeekayay
    on

I ve recently started on this road and as of yesterday day 6 of my BSD I got severe gut stomach cramps, one of the reasons i am here doing this is i am a rally driver and on my last event in very high temperatures and in a car with no cooler i had the same cramps despite drinking 5 litres of water in the day. I cannot competein rallying with diabetese ( which i don’t have yet but am in the grey area as described by my doctor)

The attack was full on for an hour on and off with 4 different bouts and i had 3 or 4 lesser twinges in bed last night.

I’ve read the magnesium suggestion but not willing to put on weight just yet so what are the other solutions? contemplating dropping a meal to take a meal replacement shake rda ingredients covered in one portion ( vitamins etc).

a review of the site doesnt seem to reveal anyone else has had the same stomach cramps,hence i added my experience to this.

Please log in or register to post a reply.