Checking Progress

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Arch1ebear
    on

Hi everyone,
    I am into my first week of the BSD and in my first 4 days I have lost 1.8kg and my mmol has dropped from 13.7 to this morning being 6.8. Is this level of drop expected. I was thinking that I have now been 8 days without alcohol whereas previously I would drink a bottle of wine a night.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Welcome Arch1ebear, yes this is exactly what the diet is meant to do. I too was running at around 14 when I started and in 3 days was down to 8.2 then just 2 weeks later down to around 6. I got so scared by this that i did a post called What Are We Doing To Ourselves. I am 5 years on the diet but as I was already 12 years diabetic and on insulin I dont expect to reverse or go into remission. I now run at between 3.0 and 5.0. Never thought I could go so low but my body is used to it now but I am still on insulin although from 40 units to 17 daily. Keep going, this diet does work. Just a word of advice, once you get your BG down to normal levels dont make the mistake of going back to eating as before – that is what caused the diabetes and can bring it back. Also, great on the alcohol. I too used to drink a bottle 4 or 5 times a week but now rarely and prefer a small vodka and slimline (the only artificial sweetener I allow) as I can do fine just having a couple. As I always say, keep on keeping on…

• posted by Arch1ebear
    on

Thank you that has eased my mind a lot. I will definitely keep going. Today will be my big test as it is my first night shift and the 3am crash usually led to a severe craving for sugar and a big attack on the crisps and biscuit barrel.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Glad to be of help. Nightshift eating is usually due to boredom and not being in our usual routine. How about taking a snack box of BSD friendly goodies. Boiled egg, chunk of cheese (not too big), few almonds, little tub of olives, chicken drumstick – whatever makes your mouth water without causing sugar spikes. Good luck, it isnt easy but it is soooooooo worth it for your health.

Please log in or register to post a reply.