Can I continue after the 56 days?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Revenanto
    on

I am 68 years old and at 6ft 1 inch and 23stone 12 had almost given up hope of ever losing significant weight.
    The top of my fridge was starting to look like a pharmacy. I heard about Dr Mosley and the research from Newcastle University,
    I bought the book and spent nearly a month convincing myself that I could never follow it.
    Seven weeks ago Monday 14th Mar I took the plunge and have followed the 800 cals a day (or less) rule religiously without a single days lapsing over 800 cals.
    I’ve started walking every day and it feels wonderful. I feel great! Weighed in this morning (Day44) at 21stone 6lb and I can hardly believe it.
    My problem is that I need to drop at least another 7 stone and I only have 12 days left of the 56 days

The way I feel now, I could quite happily continue the 800 cal regime indefinitely.
    No other diet has ever worked so well and left me feeling so good! I’m scared to increase my calories when this regime is working so well.

Does anyone have any advice?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Revenanto, wow, you have lost a lot of weight! Very impressive! I’m really pleased you are enjoying the energy this diet gives us.

Captainlynne asked the team if it was ok for her to carry on for longer than 8 weeks and the answer was yes. She is 65 and has completed 18 weeks so far. She is away at the moment but when she is back I’m sure she will reassure you!

All the best
    Judith

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Revenanto congratulations on the weight loss. Isn’t it a lot easier than it looks at first?
    I’m also a long termer at the 12 week mark. Lost 2 stones 1.5 pounds up to now and still going strong on the fast 800 without any problems at all.
    Once you hit the 8 week mark, come and join us on the Over the 8 week line and beyond thread
    Oh, if you are a UK citizen, could you sign our petition please, the thread with the link is in this forum, thanks.

• posted by Carolg
    on

Hi Revenanto congratulations on doing so well so far. I agree with Bill it is a lot easier than it looks at first.
    Iโ€™m also a long termer at the 11 week mark and have lost 2 stone 8 lbs so far. I want to lose another 9 stone so I’ll be with you all the way. Keep plugging away.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Revenanto & Carolg
    Great work both of you. There is something about this BSD way of life that hooks you in. Not just losing the weight, but finding (maybe for the first time) that you are in control & really feel much better than you have for a very long time.
    Do it while you can. Do it while you want to. Try & do the low carbs bit for the rest of your life. This Mediterranean diet is really good. Don’t forget Prof Taylor’s words, to maintain Your personal target weight, eat two thirds ( 2/3) of the total amount you used to eat
    Keep on keeping on

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Revenanto and Carolg

Been away for a few days and just catching up on posts.

As hashimoto said, I’ll have finished 19 weeks on the BSD tomorrow. That includes two separate weeks when I’ve been away from home in hotels so no calorie counting but sticking to the BSD principles.

When I started this on 19th December I had 6.5 stones to lose. To date I have lost 3.5 stones. My aim is to stay on the BSD until I reach a weight that the medics and myself are happy with. There are also many others on these forums that are staying on the BSD for longer than the 8 weeks and we seem to be collecting information on here about all the health (and non-food) benefits we are finding.

My suggestion would be to stay with what works but you may wish to check with your GP about the possibility of reducing any medication as your weight drops.

You can see how many of us ‘old-timers’ are doing on the Fast 800 forum on this site. I’ve started two threads on there – ‘over the 8-week line and after’ and ‘over the 16-week line’

Let us know how you get on.

• posted by Revenanto
    on

Thank you to all of you who responded so positively to my query. It made me feel much better to read the over the 8 week messages.
    It’s no use talking to my MD as we have has major disagreements over anything that seems to disagree with NHS guidelines, and she is quite scathing about internet wannabe doctors (her words.)
    She seems to have taken my refusal to continue with her ever increasing drug regime , as a personal insult so the only way I can ever win the argument is to go back once I have lost the weight.

Anyway….day 48 today and weighed in at 21st 4lbs (loss of 36lbs !) I still can’t believe how simple it is…after a lifetime of failed diets! Onwards and downwards !

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Day 48 and 36lbs gone is fantastic!! Picture it- that’s 72 half pound packs of lard!!!
    It’s a shame your dr is so closed in her thinking – she should be supporting you in this!

When you go back go dressed to the nines so you can really show your weight loss and improved health! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Revenanto
    on

…… and I can take her a big box of chocs just to show there’s no hard feelings !
    (I wouldn’t really do that to anyone..but it’s tempting ๐Ÿ™‚ )

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Well, Revenanto, as she doesn’t believe carbs and sugar are a problem why not? ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Revenanto, hats off to you! You’ve achieved a huge weight loss, shame you didn’t get support from your doctor. I bet your success will go a long way towards changing her mind.
    Have you reduced your meds at all, although I guess that’s a bit tricky without your GP on board.
    Keep posting your journey as it’s all motivation for newcomers who might be overwhelmed at first. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Revenanto
    I changed GP this week after 3 years of no support! Give her a copy of the book, inscribed of course. Perhaps as a goodbye present.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

I can’t remember the last time I saw a GP! Saw locum late last year after a sting went nasty๐Ÿ˜ฑ We agreed to disagree! I’m waiting to see how the nurse treats me on Thursday when I go for HbA1c result. Full blood checks later this year. Living in a village there’s just the one surgery so no choice๐Ÿ˜ณ I think if the nice nurse has now become the nasty nurse I’ll cut back on my visits. We agreed on monthly visits to check my progress but if she’s no longer supportive it will need a rethink.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne, it’s tough being in a small village when it comes to no choice of doctor’s surgeries! I hope it goes well on Thursday and nice nurse is back! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Judith. Hope you’re feeling better. Have the feeling nice nurse was sticking to the party line in front of nurse just joining the practice. Just didn’t think how it would make me feel๐Ÿ˜ณ The village nearly lost the surgery, so we do need to support it otherwise we might lose it altogether.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Lynne, only slightly better, I have a long standing appointment with my doc on Wednesday so if I am still like this then I will bring it up.
    Yeh, Lynne you don’t want to lose your village surgery, that would make life very tough for so many.
    Well, I think it is time for my brekky! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Sentinel09
    on

Hi everyone. I am an American so I just use pounds. I have been on the diet since mid December and have lost 54 pounds so far. I am off all insulin and Metformin. My A1c has gone from 14 to 6.6. My sleep apnea and acid reflux are gone. I am so encouraged by others posting their fantastic results. I have about 40 pounds to go. Keep up the great work !

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Sentinel, fantastic health improvements!! Would you mind listing them on ‘list your improvements here’ thread? It’s good for newbies to see.

I’m pleased for you that you are off the meds!!! Great news!

You sound like you started around the same time as captainlynne, with similar weight loss and more to go so you are BSD twins! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Sentinel. Great results. As hashimoto says, we must be BSD twins๐Ÿ˜ƒ I started 19th December and to date have lost 50 pounds with another 35 approximately to still lose. Wasn’t on diabetes meds but my fasting bloods are now down from 10.9 to normal non-diabetic levels. My acid reflux has also disappeared.

Good to hear success from the other side of the pond. Keep it up and let us know your progress.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Sentinel09
    Wow! What a welcome weight loss, in every sense. Great meds & bloods news too. This BSD is producing some high weight loss. Proves we are willing & can do it. Pass the news on. We want change for Type 2 Diabetics in advice & treatment world wide

• posted by Tallyhoo
    on

Where is the ‘over the 8 week line and beyond’ thread?? Do I just scroll through all the topics??

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi tallyhoo, fantastic results!

Type the name of the thread into the top right hand search button

๐Ÿ™‚

Please log in or register to post a reply.