BSD and fertility/conceiving

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Paloma
    on

I’m not sure if anyone will know the answer to this but here goes…
    Can the 8 week BSD reduce fertility? I would like to try for another baby but I want to lose weight first – approx 2.5 to 3 stone. I know weight loss can increase chances of conception but does it need to be gradual weight loss?
    I know that yo-yo dieting and crash dieting can have negative effects on fertility and I’m worried that the 8 week blood sugar diet will similarly reduce fertility as the calories are so low. Does anyone know if it can affect fertility negatively?
    Has anyone had success at conceiving following the 8 week bsd?
    Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

• posted by Marcassin
    on

I have read that being insulin resistant or having too much insulin in your blood can also affect fertility. Too much insulin is also linked to polycystic ovary syndrome which is a definite cause of infertility. The diet is designed to bring down the level of insulin in the blood by cutting down on carbs, forcing the body to burn fat and get rid of the excess fat in the liver and pancreas which is interfering with the production of insulin.
    If you follow the diet for 8 weeks you should be in a much better place to conceive and as the diet encourages you to eat healthy non processed foods you should be stocked up on vitamins and minerals.
    It’s too late for me to have direct personal experience though, maybe someone else will come along who has.

• posted by caronl
    on

Hi Paloma I know from personal experience that weight loss helps fertility – though this was 20 years ago with WW – but cannot comment on whether or not there is an ideal or suboptimal rate of weight loss. Perhaps someone will weigh in (groan!) with some thoughts. I know MM refers to “Cassie” in his books as someone who successfully conceived after years of trying then BSD. Remember folic acid!

• posted by Paloma
    on

Thank you both for your insight. I remember reading about ‘Cassie’ in the book so hopefully it can only be a good thing. I am only going to follow the diet for 8 weeks and then continue with the principles I think. Here goes, tomorrow is day one – I’ve been putting it off but have spent the day meal prepping so no excuse!

Please log in or register to post a reply.