Breastfeeding on BSD

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by NurSal
    on

Hi ,
    My baby is 7 months and is on solids and breastfeeding. Why is BSD discouraged during breastfeeding (BF)? I dont want to wait till I stop BF to start my BSD journey.
    I realise that BFing takes extra calories. I could just add a further 400 cal per day to make up for it. Are there other reasons ?

Thanks

• posted by Theodora
    on

Hi Sal, and welcome.

I’m no expert, but I suspect that it’s because on a restricted calorie diet your milk production would reduce. I would think, however, that if you do as you suggest and follow BSD principles, but have a higher calorie intake, that would be fine, particularly as your little one is already on solids so will be getting all the nutrition he/she needs.

I’m sure if my logic is wrong, that someone with more expertise will correct me. Good luck.

• posted by CJK
    on

Hi, I’m still breastfeeding my 11 month old, and have been on the diet for a week, though I’ve only cut down to 1000 calories. I have not noticed any reduction in milk, my daughter is still feeding happily, and I have lost 5lbs so far.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

CJK as you have not put on a profile and I have just read the post you have made here, ignore my advice about cheese. Although it is a saturated fat it is high in calcium and you are breastfeeding. I know it might seem intrusive but these things are important to know when giving advice. Half a picture etc…

• posted by Joes Nonna
    on

First can I say a “bloody well done” for breastfeeding. Not everyone can manage it or wants to!

My daughter is breastfeeding her 5 months old daughter and a month ago started cutting out all carbs and sugar. There has been no reduction in milk production and can see a considerable weight loss. I think general common sense should be used when breastfeeding. It has been long known that what you eat affects the baby…I found out when I ate grapes, my baby had an upset tummy.

As long as you are eating a balanced diet of good food you will do well. 1000 calories is low anyway.

Keep up the good work.

Nonna Mary
    xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.