Breakfast misery

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jenny1956
    on

Hi can anyone help?
    I’ve never been a cooked breakfast type especially veggies and cheeses and I hate yogurt! I don’t mind a shake but I’m struggling to find something light fresh and filling. Any ideas please?

• posted by Lonoa
    on

What kind of breakfast do you usually like to eat? My go-to breakfast for ages was boiled eggs, carrot sticks and an orange. Sounds boring and I’m not sure if it fits this diet, but it was so quick and easy. What about a low carb porridge/museli with almond milk? There are a few recipes in the books. Also, low carb bread exists if that’s something you might like. Avocado and rocket salad? Veg sticks and hummus dip? Shakes as you mentioned are a good option, I’ve found making them with cows milk keeps me feeling satisfied much longer than a base of juice/coconut water/almond milk or such.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Jenny1956 – you are going to have to embrace this diet and get out of your old mind set. Try to be a bit adventurous – It makes the diet more interesting. My breakfasts for the week are
    Mon – spinach raspberry and almond milk shake (smoothie done in my Nutribullet)
    Tues – poached egg with grilled mushrooms
    Wed – Full fat Greek yoghurt with strawberries – but how about strawberries and cream
    Thurs – No carb bircher from the book
    Fri – Scrambled egg with chilli and cheese from the book
    Sat – Full fat Greek yoghurt and fruit – again, you can have fruit and cream or even just the fruit
    Sun – we always have a full cooked brunch of grilled bacon, scrambled egg or beans, canned tomatoes and grilled mushrooms.
    Take care with the type of fruits you eat as they can be high in sugars so stick with berries. Some might see like cooking but it takes 2 minutes to scramble some egg or 4 mins to poach or boil and you can always do them the night before and heat through for breakfast.

• posted by alliecat
    on

Hi Jenny and Lonoa! I’m not a fan of cooked breakfasts either, so it’s unfortunate that you don’t like yogurt. I’d
    steer clear of shakes made with milk. It’s the fat that keeps you feeling full, but in 8 oz. of whole milk there are
    10.25g of carbs and 11g of sugar, and that’s before you even start adding fruit! A much better choice would be
    an egg and a portion of avocado. That is often what I have for lunch in a spinach salad. Keeps me going for
    hours! A breakfast of a hard boiled egg an a portion of avocado certainly works, too. 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

I do scrambled eggs in the microwave. Beat a couple of eggs with some butter in a bowl. Stick in the microwave for a minute, pull out and stir, put back in microwave for another minute. I don’t like large amounts of cold cheese either, but add a little flavoured cream cheese to the scrambled eggs and its really tasty and you can eat straight out the bowl so not a lot of washing up to do.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Scrambled eggs are one of my standard breakfasts now. Otherwise I have yoghurt – but if you don’t like it, don’t have that – or my own home made muesli. That’s a mix of mainly nuts and seeds (sunflower, chai, pumpkin and linseed), cacao nibs, with some rolled whole oats and a little chopped dried fruit. I vary the nuts and fruit in each batch for variety.

Please log in or register to post a reply.