Bread breakfast

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Veiled1
    on

I am struggling about breakfast. I have done a week now, and I dont wnt egg every day, I dont have time to cook and im not so good at it anyway. Is there any bread we can eat? Any bread we can make without weird stuff for ingredients. Went to sainsburys today with a list of ingredients for low carb bread and couldnt find any of it. Saw a bag of almond flour in the health food shop but it was tiny and £10!
    Please someone tell me there is a ready made low carb bread out there……

• posted by Pancita
    on

Maybe someone else can recommend a suitable loaf.
    But I’m not sure the “alternatives” are helpful. They’re likely to be a bit pants compared to the original version (and your mindset doesn’t change). I had a recipe book for paleo, someone lent it to me. The bread was made with about 100 probiotic capsules and an awful lot of expensive, ground-up things as flour substitutes. I buy a lovely, 4-ingredient, small sourdough loaf once in a blue moon. We enjoy a bit fresh, then toasted, then as breadcrumbs, then it’s gone til the next time. Each to their own!
    Why are eggs your only option? Can’t you eat yogurt? Avocado? Smoked fish? Nuts? Even baked beans?

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi I think it may be best if you try to think of life ‘without’ bread just for the moment. Most people find that you just have to go cold turkey and cut out simple carbs like bread, rice, pasta and potatoes. Lots of people have Total (fage) full fat Greek yogurt with some berries and maybe some nuts for breakfast if you don’t fancy a protein breakfast. I have that or an eggy breakfast occasionally with smoked salmon, or a kipper, or smoked haddock and an egg and I’m sure others will add their favourites……???

• posted by Esnecca
    on

You don’t want to eat eggs every day but you do want bread every morning? I suspect repetitiveness isn’t the problem. It’s the carb withdrawal making you crave breakfast toast. That being the case, you might want to try varying your breakfast with something that is not the drug that drove you to BSD rehab in the first place. Greek yogurt and berries, say, or coconut cream chia pudding or smoked salmon with capers and a thinly sliced green onion drizzled with 14 grams of cream cheese thinned out with the juice of half a lemon. Break out of the mold a little. It’s rewarding, I promise you.

To answer your question, there are commercial low carb breads out there, yes. I used them as a crutch quite often when I first started the BSD. Eventually I found I no longer cared enough to bother with the expensive online orders and since I love to cook and have easy access to ingredients, when I do want a “bun” for a burger or a buttered muffin with my omelette I just make one. I gather from your Sainsburys and £10 references that you are in the UK. All my sources are US-based, but these sites have a couple of options for you: https://www.carblife.co.uk/carblife-bakery/ , http://www.sugarfreemegastore.com/acatalog/Fresh-Bread.html . I’ve tried several Great Low Carb Bread Company products and the plain bagels aren’t bad at all. Also Joseph’s Mini Pita Bread and Mama Lupe’s Tortillas.

• posted by Veiled1
    on

Thankyou all for your replies,I suppose I just never really thought of things like fish for breakfast, and its true its my carb addiction talking to me. lol. I am going to avoid bread as I know unless its a gorgeous piece of thick white crusty bread it just wont cut the mustard. ! I will go for the greek yogurt etc. I am more motivated today as I am pleased to announce I have done my first week and I have lost 8lb and 3 inches from my tummy! Hooray. Onwards and upwards. Thanks everyone

• posted by Luvtcook
    on

Veiled1, I know how you feel. I have done well low carbing and cutting out bread and pasta for lunch and dinner but not having toast or something bready for breakfast was always the hardest for me too.

I just posted a Savory Breakfast Bun on the recipe page. You microwave the mixture for 1 minute in a greased mug and then can split it and fill it with sausage, salmon, or it is great just split and toasted with some peanut butter, or jam. Hope it helps.

Good luck!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Whilst I have been away, I have been having shredded lettuce, with flaked tuna mixed with grated coconut, finely chopped shallot and finely chopped chill, with a squeeze of lime juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Really lovely fresh taste and surprisingly filling.

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi Veiled1 – That’s a bloody awesome result after one week – well done!
    I’ve made porridge on a Sunday – enough for 3 days which I kept in the fridge and just microwave a portion each morning. In the end I ditched breakfast! So much easier not to have to worry about it or crave the toast! It did desolate me in the beginning but once the inches and pounds start to drop, you feel great! Giving up bread is like giving up cigarettes to me. 🙂

• posted by KazzUK
    on

I should say “was” like giving up cigarettes, now it doesn’t appeal at all and when I have snuck a small slice once in a blue moon, it tasted sweet, smelled yeasty and was horrible!

• posted by Veiled1
    on

I shall check out the savoury breakfast bun .I am just focusing on the new me which is making me strong.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

There are some lovely porridge recipes in the 8 week BSD recipe book, I love the Pecan Chia porridge and the Apple & Cinammon one. I’ve read that oats can spike blood sugars, but I don’t have diabetes so it’s not a concern for me. Plus the pecan chia one uses only 25g oats for 2 servings.
    Talking of porridge, I did make porridge bread once, it was quite easy to make – just oats, Greek yogurt, seeds and oil from memory. I cut it into slices and froze them, and when I felt desperate for a piece of toast I’d have that. To be honest though I rarely feel like bread or toast nowadays, have got used to not eating it.
    Do you like mushrooms? Flat mushrooms make a good toast alternative, they are nice baked in the oven with feta, spinach and nutmeg. I sometimes make them the evening before (say when I’m cooking dinner) and then just reheat in the morning, as on a work morning I wouldn’t have time to put the oven on and prep them.
    Another breakfast I like is the Simple Egg muffins – I make a batch up on the weekend as it’s a great way to use up leftover veg, cheese etc. they only take 30 seconds to heat up in the microwave in the morning.
    Also sometimes I’ll have things like a Ploughmans or Hommus and veggie sticks! I would never have dreamt of eating those sort of foods for breakfast before BSD.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

I was having steel cut oats cooked up with lots of water (1 cup of oats to 5-6 cups of water) and this would last me about 10 days when mixed up with some seeds and/or nuts and some berries and greek yogurt. I was finding that my carbs were quite high though, so I have started using 1 Tbsp of chia and 2 Tbsp of flax mixed with some almond milk, greek yogurt and berries and that is much lower in carbs and keeps me satisfied much longer. It also doesn’t require any cooking. You can cover the chia and flax with almond milk in a jar and leave it overnight, or I mix it up when I get up in the morning and it is ready at 10am when I eat breakfast on my morning break at work. It tastes different from porridge but I still like it a lot.
    I have also been experimenting with the broccoli bread in the recipe section. The first time I made it as the recipe said. It worked quite well but was a bit fragile for transporting. This last time, I substituted some of the almond flour with flax and added a bit of grated cheese and it held together much better and I found the flax made it a bit “breadier”. I’m going to keep experimenting as I am trying to cut down my cheese intake, and although I don’t really crave the carbs from bread, I do find I miss the yeasty flavour. I may try using some nutritional yeast in it and see what that is like.

• posted by Kas0103
    on

Sue Blue,
    I love the sound of the muffins you make, must try them. Like the sound of using portobello mushrooms too, they sound scrummy! I have discovered that using chickpea flour to make simple pancakes, as in the recipe on the forum, gave me the illusion that I had a sort of bread carrier for tasty toppings one lunchtime, when I would have had a sandwich…I’ve put the rest in the freezer, so that I can just peel one off as I need one.

Have only been doing this 800 diet for a week, and it was a bit tough buying a beautiful sourdough loaf for my husband today, but I have managed to just put it away without stealing the end crust and slathering it with butter… I can do this! I do have willpower! Sorry, just trying to convince myself…
    Kas

• posted by Squidge
    on

Isn’t it odd how we reject the idea of (e.g.) eggs every day for breakfast, even though we used to eat either toast or cereal every day and not feel that was too boring? I’m the same – even though I really like eggs. There must be a reason for it.

If you eat bacon, then try a couple of rashers with fried or grilled tomatoes – add that into the rotation of all the other suggestions here and you’ll have quite a lot of variety. You could also consider skipping breakfast sometimes and have a larger, early lunch. That way you can eat things which might seem ‘wrong’ for breakfast.

• posted by alliecat
    on

We DO have preconceived notions, Squidge! I remember when I was first learning about Kimchi, and
    read that Koreans ate this routinely for breakfast! Fermented, garlicky cabbage? I was shocked! Now
    I always find a way to add 1/4 c to my day.. I secret it in devilled eggs, and find it quite delicious!

Please log in or register to post a reply.