Blood Sugar

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by orgally
    on

How quickly can I expect blood sugar to respond to BSD. Been on diet for 15 days and have now lost 6.4kg (1 stone) so should blood sugar respond now?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Before I take a brief break from the site just want to say, I answered this the other day and told someone that it would be quite slow (i.e. a couple of weeks) although I noticed a response immediately, it still took several weeks to get right down. The real answer from an interview by Prof Roy Taylor is, if you are sticking to the diet strictly then you should start to see results with 3 or 4 days. Still, if you are thinking of coming off or adjusting meds please do it slowly, slowly and hopefully with the backing of your doctor. Also, can you measure your daily bloods so you can see how you are going and keep an eye in case you go very low.

• posted by orgally
    on

Hello Sunshine-girl
    Thank you so much for your response. I haven’t checked blood sugar at all during the past two weeks but will do so now. I just wasn’t sure how quickly it would respond and didn’t want to be disappointed by testing too early.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi orgally,

Congratulations on the brilliant weight loss. You must be pretty pleased with that.

About the blood sugars, I started BSD at the beginning of August 2017 when I was diagnosed Type II. My Hba1c on diagnosis was 106 (11.8%). According to this diagram from diabetes.co.uk https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html
    that is equivalent to a blood glucose (mmol/l) reading of 16.2. (I also just used a conversion calculator on the site).

3 weeks after starting the BSD I got a blood glucose monitor and started monitoring my blood sugars systematically every day. At that point I’d lost 12lbs. My initial blood glucose readings were already mostly 7s, some 8’s. This would be equivalent to an Hba1c of between 53 – 70. So similar to what sunshine-girl is saying my experience is that my blood sugars fell quickly.

While the daily bgl readings don’t guarantee you’ll get the equivalent Hba1c when you next get it tested at the GP practice (Hba1c is a different test using a 3-month average) I personally found this diagram really helpful to get a general idea of where things were at as my blood sugar levels continued to drop.

Do let us know how you get on.
    Marie xx

N.b. – you need to scroll down the page to reach the diagram – HbA1c as an indicator of blood glucose control
    Also, I’m assuming you’re in the UK?

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Spam reported

Please log in or register to post a reply.