Anti-glutamic acid decarboxylase GAD test

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Carpet man
    on

Hi I am 60-year-old male being diagnosed with diabetes Type II approximately 24 months ago I have tried low carb diet and got good results in the beginning unfortunately I have been eating the wrong foods now and again I have done cycling and some exercise and unfortunately my sugar levels are still high I recently had a anti-glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) test with the result of 263 u/ml what does this mean am I going towards type 1or is there still hope with this diet and exercise I can stay off insulin

• posted by Pancita
    on

Hi there,
    I don’t know anything about that test, but type 1 and type 2 diabetes have different causes, and one type cannot change into another.
    I hope that you can adjust your diet to reduce carbs enough to help you.
    Best wishes,
    P

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Have you tried Google (or another search engine) as I too have never heard of that. I will look it up but as Pancita says t1 and t2 are completely different conditions.

Okay I have just looked it up and it is nothing to do with diabetes but a diagnostic for Stiff Person Syndrome which is a disorder of the central nervous system – so a totally different subject and a matter for your doctor.

When you say you have been eating the wrong things and your BG is still high or gone up, what exactly have you been eating that you shouldn’t. Have you been following this diet but going astray – what do you need help with.

• posted by Wanna_Be_ND
    on

Pancita stated:

“type 1 and type 2 diabetes have different causes, and one type cannot change into another”

This is not entirely true. You can wear out your pancreas after having Type 2 for a long time (for ten or more years usually). In other words, Type 2 basically turns into Type 1 because you cannot produce enough insulin. I believe the pancreas can last much longer than ten years for those who have had good blood sugar control.

There is still hope for you to reverse your diabetes, Carpet man, being that you have only had the disease for 24 months. Presumably your pancreas is still in really good shape. I advise you not to delay, though. Do the 800 calorie diet for at least the eight week period so you can suck the fat off your pancreas and liver. These goals were accomplished in studies of people eating restricting their calories to this degree either eating low-carb and in some trials, low-fat foods. The mechanism is the same in surgeries that remove fat from the pancreas. This cures Type 2 diabetes. So the premise is that the removal of fat from the liver and pancreas through diet would do the same thing, curing the metabolic syndrome that makes handling sugar so difficult for your body. But don’t stop dieting after eight weeks if you have more weight to lose! After doing this diet and your diabetes is cured, consider eating more plant-based meals. Eating animal fat has been linked to insulin resistance and other problems in study after study. (I am mostly vegan for that reason.)

IMPORTANT: Studies now show that drinking non-caloric artificial sweeteners (NAS) causes glucose intolerance because it creates an imbalance of gut bacteria. Although natural, even stevia needs to be limited to two servings per day for that reason. Once test subjects were given antibiotics to kill the overgrowth of the bad bacteria, the glucose intolerance was cured. So I would suggest going on the CleverGuts plan, too, if you have ever used these or have been having gut problems or used antibiotics before. Stop using NAS altogether if you don’t want to be a diabetic.

Good luck and let me hear back from you on this thread how you are doing!

Wanna_Be_ND

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi there, I have just been reading some research from Japan about that very subject – type 2 turning into type 1. When we consider that a couple of years ago it was believed that t2 was chronic and progressive with drugs just holding back some of the symptoms and now we know it can be cured or put into remission with careful dietary control – then who knows what else can happen if not controlled. As the Japanese conclusion was ‘anything is possible with diabetes – we are just learning’.

• posted by Esnecca
    on

You’re trying to sell books, an expensive one at that. I have reported your post as spam.

Please log in or register to post a reply.