Advice needed

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Juliepetty
    on

Hi all,
    I was diagnosed as T2 diabetic in October 2016, I was shocked as I wasn’t overweight and have a very physical job, the only symptoms I had were I was loosing weight and was constantly tired.
    I normally walk an average of 25 miles per week at work so don’t really need to exercise more.
    My first HbA1c was 110 and I was given Metformin straightaway, I now take a 750mg slow release once a day.
    After reading Dr Michael Moselys book I realised that I should really have been given a chance to change my diet.
    My second HbA1c in February 2017 was 48 and it was the same in July.
    The nurse told me in July that I really didn’t need to test as the Metformin would stop me going too high or low.
    Since starting the Metformin I have been putting on weight and am now about 10kg heavier, I want to lose this so
    I have just started the BSD.
    I am going to do a fasting test every morning and see what happens but I am wondering how will I know when (hopefully) I can stop the Metformin. Any help gratefully received.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Juliepetty, I dont understand your figures as I work from a different scale but I assume 110 was high and 48 is just above normal, I have heard talk of getting to 34 from a poster on here. Normally Metformin makes you lose weight as it gives you an upset stomach and nausea but when I took it I have the upset stomach but no weight loss (or gain). Yes you should have been given a chance to change your diagnosis with diet and lifestyle changes, but mainly diet. They can be very quick to put you on medication and this is what happened with me, though at the time the diet was all wrong with lots of carbs being forced on me (probably why I didn’t lose weight as I rarely ate carbs before then). Warning, once you are on the drugs they usually only ever increase or add more meds, the powers that be never seem to consider reducing or stopping. When Met didn’t work for me I was put straight onto insulin injections but we didn’t know about this diet then (12 years ago). I hope someone else who knows about Metformin (where are you Verano) will come on but if you are constantly showing low readings then maybe you could discuss with your nurse a reduction in medication. I would also test before dinner as you can get lows then if you have lunch and not much else before eating dinner. Working from your scale you will know the figures you are hoping for. If you reach them, reduce the Met a little bit and keep testing, if BG goes up then go back up on the meds, simple as that.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Juliepetty I would suggest you work with your nurse and/or doctor.

I was diagnosed with T2 around 5 years ago. My HbA1c was never much above 7 but I was started on metformin at 1000mg a day, I think, and that was then increased to 2000mg slow release a day. Around a year or so ago there was talk of adding a second medication even though my HbA1c was stable at around 6.5ish, never over 7.

I discovered BSD and tried it. So my history, on 2000mg a day slow release:
    April 2016, HbA1c 6.2

July 2016 started BSD

October 2016, HbA1c 5.5
    February 2017, HbA1c 5.6
    May 2017, HbA1c 5.2… metformin reduced to 1000mg
    August 2017, HbA1c 5.3 …. metformin stopped.

November 2017 ???????? we’ll see.

It is unusual to test at home when you’re taking metformin when your BS is stable and yours seems to be. Blood sugar fluctuates so wildly but, unlike insulin which needs to be adjusted, metformin slow release keeps you “topped up” so to speak. Personally, I think medication should be reviewed by the medics. Although we can be well informed there are sometimes other aspects of our medical conditions that we, as laymen, are unaware of.

It is unusual to put on weight as sunshine-girl has said. Are there any other changes that may account for that?

Follow BSD for a while and see what happens. If your HbA1c, the best measure, does reduce then have a chat with your medics. Some are very sceptical about LCHF so you may need to be a little patient if yours are. Others may feel differently to me but I don’t think self medication is a good idea.

Good luck with your journey to a metformin free life.

Please log in or register to post a reply.