A new me

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Gabby72
    on

Today I’m starting the Fast800/BSD – 7 Jan 2018.

I have tried (not that hard) and failed numerous times in the last 7 years to lose weight. Now my unhealthy lifestyle is starting to impact my life. I am the heaviest I have ever been – weighed in this morning at 106kgs. That is 10 kilos heavier than what I was at 9 months pregnant with my second child (gasp ugghhh). I’ve just had a holiday with my husband and kids at the beach – I couldn’t keep up with them or play with them on the sand. My feet hurt because I am so heavy and I think it is starting to affect my tendons in my ankles? I was mortified at what I look like in a pair of bathers – I have become that fat person on the beach.

So, things have to change and it is starting today. I’m going to the DR shortly to get my blood tests done and blood pressure checked – I know it won’t be a good story. I think I will be ok with the food but my biggest challenge is going to be giving up wine and champagne. It has become my crutch – I have a reason everyday as to why I need a glass or two or three of wine. So, my first AFD today in quite some time. I know my liver will thank me for it 🙂

I have a very busy job that requires a lot of entertaining and travel – it will be a challenge to change my habits but I am really going to try and do this. I know my husband supports me but I can see that he thinks this will be yet another failed attempt – I intend to prove him wrong!!!

I’m going to post each Monday with a results check-in. I need to do this to keep myself accountable.
    I would love for anyone to comment, give advice etc

My goals: I want to be healthier; I want to lose 36 kgs and get back to my pre-baby weight of 70kgs; I would like to be able to run 5kms again (aiming for middle of the year on this one); I want to feel good about myself and I want to be able to play with my kids at what ever activity they are doing.

My 12 week weight loss goal is: 15 kgs. So, at the end of this I want to be 91 kgs or less.
    My measurements (a bit scary):
    Bust – 45 inches
    Around my middle (Belly button) – 41 inches
    Widest part (butt) – 53 inches
    So, here goes – a new me for 2019 and forever.
    Cheers xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Gabby72, good luck. It might be helpful to look around the forum to see if there are any threads that interest you. There are weekly challenges you can join and if you have any questions try typing into the search engine where you are likely to find many responses as questions get asked over and over. Failing that, just shout out and someone will help you.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Welcome Gabby – Great way to kick off your year. It’s a bit of a steep learning curve at the start of the BSD way of eating, but you’ll be surprised how quickly you get to grips with it. Initially focus on a day at a time – there will be slips and trips along the way, but the important thing is to A) forgive yourself for any mistakes and B) get straight back to good BSD eating without any delay.
    It’s important to think of this as a way of life and not a quick fix diet, but for now just concentrate of managing your daily calorie and carb intake, weigh, measure and record everything you consume and yourself too.
    As sunshine-girl says, do make good use of the forum, it’s a safe friendly place to come to offload when things go wrong or shout from the roof tops when things are going well – someone will definitely be there to off support or celebrate with you as the situation demands.
    Looking forward to reading of your progress and seeing you out and about on the forum.

• posted by Billy
    on

Good luck, I started yesterday and also keen for this year to be a new me. I don’t have diabetes but family members do and it’s something I really don’t want, I do have high blood pressure and hope that reducing my weight will help this. I weighed myself this morning and have already lost 1 kg!! Unbelievable! I also like a drink,
    particularly wine with meals and know this will be a hard habit to break. To be honest I did feel hungry last night and missed my glass of wine, I could have easily lapsed about 9pm but didn’t. So tonigh I had Barenaked noodles, they are not cheap £2.00 a packet but really low in calories , zero carb, zero sugar. I had them with a homemade tomato sauce with garlic and herbs and chicken breast fillet, I felt so full afterwards. The noodles are definately a keeper and tomorrow I am going out to get the barenaked rice from Sainsburys to see what that is like. I hope your first day has gone well for you.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Billy – I’m sure losing weight will help with your BP and for sure it’s a good measure to take with diabetes being in your family. Good for you resisting temptation last night. It takes a while to get into the BSD habit, but you’re off to a great start.
    Be sure to get out and about on the forum, there’s heaps of knowledge and experience here and you’ll get a warm welcome whatever thread you decide join.
    Best wishes to you and Gabby for every success.

• posted by Gabby72
    on

Thanks so much for the kind words. I was excited when I just logged on and saw 5 posts.
    Day 1 went well on the food side but not so good on the visit to the DR. My blood pressure is high 160/110. My DR who is very supportive and a big fan of Michael Mosely said that if I wasn’t giving this a shot then she would likely be putting me on meds for my blood pressure. Well, that was a good wake-up call and has motivated me even more to do this properly.
    I made a great soup last night which I found flicking through all the recipes – broccoli and cauliflower and its only 80 calories 🙂
    I did struggle last night around 6pm – my usual time for a glass of wine. Instead I went out for a walk – oohhhh am I unfit!!
    I went to bed feeling very alert LOL.
    I weighed myself this morning and then went off to get my bloods done. Results back on Friday.
    I know it is only water but I was 104.4 this morning. Yipee a good start.
    Thanks for the support and welcome. I will definitely explore the website more and look for the weekly challenges.
    Cheers, Gabby

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi Gabby.

You can do this! It does take a little time for your mind and body to adjust to this diet, but if you can stick to it for the first couple of weks you’ll find it becomes much easier (unlike other diets which seem to get harder the longer you’re on them.)

• posted by Annym
    on

Well done Gabby72 for starting this. I am on week 2 and have lost 3kgs in 7 days. I am so pleased. Sadly I do not look any different yet. I’m 5′ 5″ and started at 85kgs with a 42″ waist. An inch gone from the waist already. I am hoping to lose 19kgs. My biggest challenge is avoiding the red wine. I have been able to avoid snacking so far and desperate to slim down and stay there. I am also keeping to MMs suggestion of Time Restricted Eating (TRE) where you eat most of your calories within a narrow time window to extend your overnight fast-apparently helps the weight loss. Just bought MMs newest book, the fast 800. A good read and helps keep up the determination. Good luck Gabby and keep posting.

• posted by Gabby72
    on

Thanks Squidge and Annym.
    Annym well done to you on an inch and 3 kgs already. A great start!!!
    Its day 3 for me and today is a tough one – I’m really lethargic and I’ve had a few headaches. I know this is to be expected but hurry up and end this phase please …….

I’m also trying the TRE – there is an app called Bodyfast (use the $free part) that helps to set your fasting periods to help keep you on track. I do the 16/8 and I’m trying to eat between 0900-1700. I will have to adjust this when I go back to work next week but it is easy to do on the app.

I only lost 100 grams overnight – a bit bummed but on the upside a loss is a loss. I think I might have to avoid weighing myself everyday. I do find it hard when you first start out on a new lifestyle/diet as all I can think about is the diet and how much weight I have to lose. I really hope I lose at least 3 kgs in the first week which I think should be doable. 5 nights to go and that will be 1.6kgs and there should be a lot of water weight hopefully (?)

My husband is starting with me next week. We have some family staying at the moment so he wanted to enjoy another week of beers for summer holidays. I started this week so that I could get the tough week out of the way before going back to work. I travel a lot in my job and I need to introduce exercise into my day while traveling. To be honest, I stopped taking any exercise gear with me when traveling because I would never do it and it just took up unnecessary space in my suitcase. So, that has to change.

I have a big function to attend on 8 Feb which will be cocktail attire and I will be on a stage for most of the night handing out awards. I have a dress which I tried on this morning, I can zip it up but it is waaaaay toooo tight 🙁
    My husband thinks 5 kgs off and it will be perfect for the night. I think about 8 kgs and it will be ok. So, my next goal is to lose between 5-8 kgs in 30 days.
    Keep going everyone! Chat soon and thanks, Gabby

• posted by Annym
    on

Keep it up Gabby. You have a good goal to aim for. Another 1lb off for me and it is getting easier. Drinking more water may help the headaches. Let us know how you get on!

• posted by Gabby72
    on

Hi Annym – well done on another pound!
    I’m in ketosis this morning – yippee. Today is day 5 and I woke up feeling really good.
    I’m seeing the Dr today for all my blood test results – not expecting great news but I’m on the path now.
    I’ve only lost 2.5 kgs but bizarrely I feel lighter. My head doesn’t feel so cloudy and I don’t feel as puffy – I guess I felt like this before because of the wine and the sugar. I also haven’t been waking up in the middle of the night needing to drink water.
    So, all in all, a great start to the day.
    Have a geat day and weekend, Gabby72

• posted by Gabby72
    on

Just back from the DR’s with blood test results. Not great but not as bad as I was expecting.
    Best news – after 5 days on the Fast800/BSD my blood pressure was almost normal today – that is amazing. Its been high for the last 6 months and 5 days of doing the right things and it went from 160/110 on Monday to 126/84 today.
    HBA1C was 35 mmol/mol
    Glucose fasting was 5.2 mmol/L
    Glucose random was 5.4 mmmol/L
    Insulin = 8.3 mU/L
    Cholesterol = 5.2 mmol/L
    HDL = 1.8 mmol/L
    LDL = 2.7 mmol/L
    All of the above were within the range but my Liver function tests most definitely NOT.
    AST = 36 U/L
    ALT = 44U/L
    Gamma GT = 41 U/L

So, overall not too bad. I need to understand more about reversing a fatty liver? I’ll see my DR again in 6 weeks and do the tests again. I told her I hope to have lost 10 kgs by then and have my blood pressure back in the normal range and the liver numbers reversing.
    Cheers, Gabby72

• posted by Annym
    on

Where are you from Gabby? I would love to get the blood tests done but UK doctors are reluctant to spend NHS money on the whim of a dieter. Keeping on with BSD will improve your liver function according to MM. Let us know. Good news about your blood pressure.

Please log in or register to post a reply.