A BIG THANKYOU

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by BSD
    on

I was diagnosed in December as diabetic after my second HBA1c test (result69) and the doctor wanted me to go on tablets straight away and I didn’t. I asked to be put on a health style course via the NHS (it was useless and took a month to come through). Then this book came out and I decided to take control myself and also get a fitbit.

So my results have comeback (38) – NOT A DIABETIC and I have lost a stone and a half and feel FAB.

Without this book I sadly feel it would have been a different story. Considering this is such a UK problem the NHS appears to do little about getting it under control yourself and giving people hope I was told:
    – Its in your family, so you have it
    – It cant be reversed
    – You need to go on pills.

My doctor can’t believe my results and has never seen such a drastic change following a lifestyle change (all I really did was do 10,000 steps a day and follow the diet and have portion control). You would think the Doctor would have wanted to know how I did it to pass on advise (but NO). More people need to know about this and I can’t thank Michael enough.

Good luck to all of you that are taking control it can be done.

Happy to support anyone that’s starting the journey

• posted by thepolly
    on

That’s fantastic news, I’m due at my first diabetic clinic on Monday (HBA1c was 88) so not sure what they are going to say as they mentioned pills over the phone when making the appt for me. I hate tablets and have been doing BSD for almost 4 weeks now.

I don’t understand why there is such a push to medicate either, but the nurse who did the confirming blood test for diabetes said she’d heard about this diet at least.

Not sure how much the diet will have affected my BS but hoping it has already. Not got a glucose meter yet cos I’m not sure if I can get one free through my practice. A friend says they do from the practice she works in.

• posted by BSD
    on

I said I wanted to have ago myself before I resorted to pills (I’ve heard nasty things about them). They wouldn’t give me a Glucose meter unless I went on the pills. So I bought my own from Home Health online – Code free (£21 – meter/100 lancets/50 strips) well worth it. £6.99 for 50 strips. I tested myself once a week in the morning & then 2 hrs after food – to see if I was on track. My count started at 9.3 and then went to 5.5 in the first 2 weeks. So I am sure you have already made a difference, you will need to wait 3mths before having the HBA1c again to see the big difference.

I’m not sure how doing the diet and being on the pills would work.

Good luck

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 2009, diet controlled. Last December my HbA1c came back as 9.6 and I was being threatened with Metformin.

I’d just bought this book and asked for a reprieve, starting the BSD on 19th December. My fasting blood that day was 10.9.

A sneaky HbA1c in January (the nurse was confused) was 8.7.

Tomorrow I’ve completed 20 weeks on the BSD (including 5 days in Prague and 4 days at a residential conference). My fasting bloods are now in the normal range and the HbA1c in April came back as 5.5 – again in the normal range.

• posted by BSD
    on

Well done, I think its about keeping it in check and not going back to old ways, but still having treats and working out what works for you. I moved my breakfast time to 10am, because I wasn’t hungry in the morning and then pushed my lunch to 2pm, because I struggle in the afternoon.

The NHS needs to do more, as its such a Big problem in the UK.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi BSD
    WRIT LARGE in Gold Letters : BSD worked for me! 😀😃😆.
    You saved yourself, excellent. So pleased for

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Well done BSD. Isn’t it empowering?……. Choosing to take control of your health and conquering your high blood sugar levels. But its more than that – the feeling of wellbeing, the extra energy, calmer mind, the satisfaction of beating carb addiction…..Life is good.

• posted by thepolly
    on

captainlynne, your results are just incredible

BSD, I’m a non-compliant type of a person and hate tablets so I’m not going to go down that route unless they have VERY persuasive arguments and even then I’ll be disinclined to believe them. I’ve lost over a stone so far – 4 weeks tomorrow. Hoping that they do a glucose test on me Monday but I really don’t know what to expect.
    Been looking at a few meters on ebay, the strips for yours don’t sound too expensive though so may go for that one.

I’m reading ‘the obesity code’ by Jason Fung which is interesting, talks about the entire medical profession having got the dietary advice wrong for years, etc. He’s a Canadian nephrologist and says the path to him is often reached after obesity turns to type II diabetes and then to kidney failure. Really good read so far.

Switzerland, I think I’m calmer too and not craving sugar or carbs really. Generally diets are not seen as medicine in the medical profession as far as i can tell, my ex was seriously ill for a long time with complications related to cancer and as a pescatarian, had really limited options for meals. Shocking in this day and age.

• posted by Izzypeach
    on

Wow! So great to read about your results, that is very encouraging.
    Polly If I could go without pork sausages & chicken, I would be a Pescatarian. I love fish so much I could eat it at every meal. I have, salmon, basa, prawns, tuna steaks and tuna in cans in my freezer and cupboards and bore the socks of my fella who likes steak and such. I vary the vegetables and sauces to keep it interesting. I also recommend the Code Free monitor, it seems the cheapest monitor to use as the lancets & Strips are reasonably priced, I got mine on Ebay.

• posted by BSD
    on

A month on and I have lost another 7lbs, without following the diet strictly. 2 stone in total and will probably aim to lose another 7lbs on the 5:2 diet now. I love the recipes and know I can maintain this way of Life easily, now need to get into the HIT exercise.

It’s not a “Diet” but a way of Life 🙂

• posted by BSD
    on

Reminder today about my environment – I bought some healthy snacks to take on holiday and to try some different things. So today is a BLIP, I’ve started to eat some as they are in the house. They are not “healthy” because I didn’t make them and so really I don’t know what’s in them if I’m honest.

Its all about being tempted by ‘New things’ won’t be doing that again.

• posted by Timmy
    on

Well done BSD, amazing results. I’m trying to persuade a good friend of mine who was diagnosed with T2 about 5 years ago to read the book, but he simply won’t believe me that T2 is reversible! I’m going to meet him tonight hopefully, and then I’m going to shove the book right in his face!

Thepolly, you are right about there not being enough done on diet and health. My brother suffers from trigeminal neuralgia. It’s also known as the suicide disease because people find it so unbearable and debilitating that they kill themselves. It is exposure of the trigeminal nerve in the face, which is one of the only nerves that doesn’t go via the spine, but directly to the brain. Everytime something touches his face (e.g. a breath of wind, his daughter kissing him on the face, etc), it feels like he’s being stabbed in the face with an ice pick.

He’s been on a whole raft of pills and treatment for the last 5 years until he read somewhere about gluten exacerbating the problem. He’s not celiac or even gluten intollorent, but he cut out all gluten from his diet over a year ago. Since then he has been pain/nerve/shock free.

I genuinely believe that a lot of ailments are caused by what we consume, and likewise can also be cured by what we consume. I wish someone would do more research on such things.

• posted by BSD
    on

Hi Timmy,

Thanks since my original post my stats have got even better (2 stone down and actually 3 stone down from this time last year). I still check my blood levels once a week (because I’m paranoid) and they are constant or this week the lowest its been 4.1.

I have a brother who is a T2, but I have to be careful what I say and how – I think he likes taking the pills as it fixes the problem for now and unfortunately there are lots of people that want a quick fix. However its really only going to get worse later down the line. I suggest you might want to share Michael’s Blog (top of the page), it shows a video in Australia and it then skips on to a ‘chat show’ he is on, very interesting audience. Seeing something might get him to buy in, rather than not picking the book up.

Good luck in persuading him – he has nothing to lose and everything to gain. And loads of people here ready to support and prove it can be done. – 6 months for me now.

• posted by BSD
    on

Timmy – How did you get on with your friend?

• posted by BSD
    on

I thought May was going to be my last post having been given the all clear by one of the doctors at the surgery.

But Oh NO they just can’t let go of you and face the facts you have proved them wrong.

So first of all my weight is still in check and in fact have lost a grand total of 3 stone, I check my blood sugar levels every so often (for piece of mind) and all in the Normal range.

So out of the blue they send me for a diabetic eye test!!! Now I find the Expert on Diabetes won’t take it off my record until I do another 2 tests (nice to be told) & informs me he has only taken 2 people in his whole long career off the Diabetic register. So I would be rare case – MAD AS HELL.

They haven’t got a clue, just don’t listen to the Doctors, they are so out of touch, he hasn’t even read the book – EXPERT!!

• posted by Frog
    on

BSD – if you don’t want to go, just cancel the appointment – they can’t force you to do it.
    I’m planning to continue the annual GP Nurse visits & HBa1c checks, just to make sure blood results all stay in the right ranges.
    I’m not sure about the eye tests, although TBH, I’d been having the photographs that they do at the diabetic eye test done at my annual ‘normal eye test’ anyway, so saves the £25 that that was costing, my optician doesn’t bother now that he knows they’re being done elsewhere.

& congratulations on the 3 stone!

• posted by captainlynne
    on

BSD – I’ve been told that my local medics just won’t take it off my records at all ‘because it could recur at any time’!😱😢

I’m hoping that another HbA1c in the normal range (already had two) will change their mind. But I’m not holding my breath,

• posted by BSD
    on

Hi Frog unfortunately if I want my records amended to say I am not a Diabetic, then I have to do the test. Which could have an impact on Insurance and other questions at the dentist etc that you have to tell them about it. If I went into hospital they would see it on my records. I hate to think what else is on the records that isn’t true.

Captainlynne – That is just ridiculous, what is the NHS playing at, no wonder it looks like the UK numbers are going sky high. If you broke your arm and it healed, they wouldn’t keep it on records as being broken 6 months down the line!

I have booked in for October and my doctor knows if its clear its coming off my records or I will be complaining way up the line. If 2 tests can prove I had it, 2 tests can prove I haven’t

No wonder only 2 have came off the register at my docotrs, there is just no support and proper information, they just want to put you on pills – RANT OVER NOW

• posted by BSD
    on

Well I went back for my results today of my HBA1c and slightly up from 38 to 40, but still not a Diabetic. YIPEEEE. And at last my Doctor has taken me off the Diabetic register and marked my record as Diabetes resolved. He also thinks I’m amazing which I’m not, I just took control with the help of this Fantastic book and no help from the NHS or Doctors. He is now recommending Michael’s book to everyone he sees because of me – Very Proud and I hope he sells it to them and they also get the results I have and so many others on this forum have.

Good luck to everyone on their journey, its completely changed me for the better in so many ways 🙂

• posted by BSD
    on

A year on and in total 3 stone lighter still (its been really easy to maintain), that was always the BIG question and still no longer a Diabetic.

I still can’t get over being a size 10, its the first time in my whole life and at 47 I feel heathier than I have ever before, I even do some running and bounce out of bed in the morning. You would think 12 months on I would have got over the impact this diet has had on my life, but I can’t, it has been such a BIG deal and I just love how I feel and am very passionate about the whole thing (which isn’t me normally).

To anyone reading this, its just 8 weeks of your life (in fact within 2 weeks you will see the difference in blood sugar readings), you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. It will make a MASSIVE difference to your whole life and health.

• posted by BSD
    on

A year on from my last test. Just got my results from the further test my doctor wanted me to take and yep still not a Diabetic and results improved slightly to 39 from 40. Also Cholesterol down to its lowest ever (I have switched to some SOYA) & weight loss still the same. Pleased as punch, because I was so worried it had comeback, based on how the doctor has been about it all.

He now at last had to admit today that it looks like there is evidence that you can reverse it or put it into remission!

So PLEASE anyone reading this DON’T give up it can be done and it lasts.

2 years since first diagnosed.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi BSD
    Thanks so much for coming back and posting your update. That’s a great result. I’m not surprised you’re still so thrilled with it all.

I’ve been on BSD since August and have already seen my blood glucose levels come down significantly which I’m really pleased about, although I know the real test will be the results of my Hba1c due in November, the first one since my diagnosis.
    Are there any specific things you did which you think were really helpful/key to getting your blood sugars under control or was it just as you say earlier: following the diet, portion control and 10,000 steps a day.
    Marie x

• posted by KazzUK
    on

Hi BSD. I’ve just ready this thread for the first time. It’s a wonderful example that this WOE works and is sustainable. I am absolutely chuffed for you. It’s also quite scary regarding outdated advice and guidelines. Not sure if you saw on another post by “Claire” – there will be a spread in a newspaper mid Nov and the reporter is looking to interview/talk to people that have turned their lives around with this way of life.

• posted by Marsie
    on

Congratulations on your entire journey, BSD, great to read that you are maintaining with ease. So encouraging for others. All the best for next year’s report.

• posted by BSD
    on

Marie,

It is really as simple as following Michael’s book to the letter at first, plan your meals, freeze everything (so no waste) & my shopping bill hasn’t gone up at all. Then experiment, so I moved to Soya milk/yoghurt recently because of cholesterol levels. I do fast once a week, the meals are just the norm now, but I still have treats & once a month I may eat pasta/rice. Everyone is different it’s about trying to get a balance. Some things I used to love, I hate now, so my taste buds have completely changed and I don’t feel deprived, I just can’t eat the quantity anymore & love how I feel. You have to see it as a GOOD change forever not a quick fix.

I have know doubt if you followed the plan you will see a big difference in your Hba1c, the big problem is convincing your Doctor its real. Good luck and keep us posted.

KazzUK/Marsie – Thanks, I had my doubts at the start, as I am sure most do ‘ Another FAD diet’. I just want to let people know it is possible to reverse it and maintain. I wish more people would take control and not pop a pill, which only leads to more pills in the long run 🙂

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi BSD
    Sorry for the delayed response; I’ve just got back online. Thanks for getting back and the extra info. I’m pretty much doing as you describe. As you say, I also see it as a good change forever. I’ve stuck pretty rigidly to 800 cals and 20g carbs for the last 11 weeks with good results and it’s been a long time since I’ve felt this well.

After I’ve had my HbA1c in November I’m considering introducing fasting. I’m hesitant as sometimes if I don’t eat in the morning my blood sugar rises so am not sure what would happen to them if I didn’t eat all day? Anyway, something to ponder?

Again, congratulations on your brilliant results. As Marsie says, all the best for the coming year. Marie x

• posted by Ohmy
    on

Congratulations! This is the story I wish for. You don’t talk about the time involved or if you jogged the BSD within its framework. Would love more info. How do the doctors recognise the other “things” as the heroes and not the drug you have been given?

• posted by BSD
    on

Ohmy,

Happy to answer any of your questions, below is a timeline, I refused to take any pills when I was diagnosed, so no drugs have been involved in my results.

* July 2015 – 13 stone (needed to lose weight, so went on the Paleo diet and lost 1 stone by October)
    * October 2015 – 12 St and blood test showed I was a Diabetic, second test December confirmed HBA1c 69
    * End of Jan 2016 – 12st (BSD book launched this month), so started and did the 28 days. Daily glucose test went from 9.3 to 5.5 in the first week and lost a stone in the month.
    *March 2016 – Loved the diet so continued with the principles and lost another half stone, daily Glucose stayed in the 5.5 range
    *April 2016 – lost another half stone, Glucose the same
    *May 2016 – HBA1c result 38
    *October 2016 – HBA1c 40 (Cholesterol 5.2, (was told it was a little high – wanted to put me on pills!!!!)
    *October 2017 HBA1c 39 (Cholesterol 4.3, changed to SOYA milk/yoghurt)

So 3 stone lighter in total, I move around a few lbs & not Diabetic. 🙂 I just try to do 10,000 steps a day, but don’t always. Hope that helps

• posted by Verano
    on

BSD your journey is so encouraging and thank you so much for continuing to report it’s so good to hear results in the long term.

I started this WOE in July 2016 having had T2 for around 5 years, and I am due to have my first ‘ metformin free’ HbA1c in a few weeks and have to admit I’m a bit nervous!

May 2016 my HbA1c was 46 with 2000mg slow release metformin a day.
    Oct 2016 HbA1c down to 37
    Feb 2017 HbA1c 38
    May 2017 HbA1c 33 then metformin reduced by half to 1000mg a day
    Aug 2017 HbA1c 34 then metformin ceased
    Nov 2017 ?????

I should add that when I had my first HbA1c eating this way I had only lost 24lbs. I have lost more since then but still have more to go. I haven’t lost anymore since stopping metformin but not gained either so just keeping my fingers crossed that I’m still in ‘remission’!

Ohmy they say that metformin only reduces your BS by around 10 -15% so not a huge amount really. All the research points to simple carbs being the culprit, reduce them and BS should reduce as well.

• posted by BSD
    on

Verano,

You results also look impressive and I am sure you will be fine next month also, but can understand you being nervous. I wasn’t aware of the 10-15% stat, it doesn’t seem worth going on them for the other side effects.

Please post your results In November.

I keep posting every so often to give others hope long term, I think its the only way to encourage people to give it a try. Its changed my life.

• posted by marie123
    on

Hi BSD and Verano,
    Just to let you know you both inspire and give me hope.
    Marie x

• posted by BSD
    on

Ahh bless you, lets hope we can all inspire more people to give it a go.

• posted by BSD
    on

Not been on for a very long time 2017!! where does the time go. Just wanted to let people know if they are considering this and don’t know if it will work in the long run. IT DOES, all still good in 2020 and the weight has stayed off more or less. It’s all about a life style change. :), with only a positive upside.

Please log in or register to post a reply.