My first plateau

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Fattyfatfat
    on

Morning everyone!

I started the diet officially 10 days ago and I’ve been seeing steady weight loss so I’m now 8.5lb down – however this morning was my first day with no change!

Over the weekend I kept low cal but had a couple of treats so I’m putting it down to that. I’ve also been eating around 50g carbs per day so thinking I should cut that but I find it really hard to get the balance and not just be eating meat!

I thought I’d share otherwise I’ll bottle it up and demotivate myself! My friend is doing her weigh in today and I know she’ll have lost again!!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, Weight loss isn’t linear. Your initial fast weight loss will be water rather than fat. Then it will settle down to 3500 ish calorie deficit equalling 1lb of fat.
    But the body doesn’t use the fat out of a single cell at a time, it uses a little fat out of a lot of cells replacing the fat with water. Only when all the fat has been used out of the fat cell do you experience the whoosh effect when the water is released, the cells collapse and your weight drops. Which is why its only really a plateau if you don’t see any changes (either inches or weight) for 3 weeks.

Just keep on keeping on and you will get there.

• posted by Fattyfatfat
    on

Thanks for your advice and support – I’m keeping going and hope to make my first goal soon 🙂

Let’s see what happens by the end of the week!

• posted by Fattyfatfat
    on

So I weighed this morning and still stayed the same BUT based on JGwens advice I looked at fat and water stats. Fat is down 5% and water is up 3.5% so now I have to keep going till the whoosh effect ☺️👍

• posted by susanecarroll1
    on

Hi
    I have been on the BSD for for 4.5 weeks now. I am doing this to support my husband in his quest to eliminate his type 2 diabetes. We have been very good and not cheated at all. We chose to do a liquid diet, 2 diet shakes a day and a homemade low cal soup in the evening and no alcohol at all. We read the book cover to cover before we started and plan to go onto a med diet with 2 fast days a week after our 8 weeks. My husband has had considerable daily weight losses but mine has stalled after a 10lb weight loss. I am taking extra fibre as I can easily get constipated. Unlike my husband who can walk upto 19000 steps a day in his work, I am limited in my exercise options due to fibromyalgia. I have only got 14 lbs to get to be on my target weight. I am trying to keep positive but today had put ON 2 ounces!! I am 63. Any ideas?
    Thank you

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi, Welcome.
    Its a common mistake to expect to loose weight on a daily basis, First of all weight loss isn’t linear, the body doesn’t burn the fat out of one cell at a time, it burns a little fat from a number of cells replacing the fat with water, and releases the water once it has used up all the fat from those cells, search for whoosh effect to see more detail. – Secondly, the scales are not a very good way of monitoring progress. – – When you think about what food and water is in transit your weight is going to fluctuate by a number of lbs during the course of the day. For example if you are drinking 2 litres of water a day, that’s going to be 2 lb weight fluctuation between drinking and releasing the fluid. Its better to take lots of measurements, not just waist and hips but arms and legs as well as its surprising where the body finds pockets of fat to get rid of before working on the spare tyre.
    You mentioned that you are having two shakes a day, and a low calorie soup. I would recommend that you check the level of carbs, protein and fat you are taking in. You will probably find that the shakes you are taking in have a high level of carbs in them which is the problem. – The old theory of calories in / calories out has been widely discredited. Your body does not have any system for monitoring calorie intake, but does have systems for responding to the levels of carbs, protein and fat you eat. – The principle behind the BSD is low carb, moderate protein, and make up the rest of the calories from healthy fat. You will find links to useful podcasts which explain the science on the take a look at this thread. I would particularly recommend the podcast by Dr Bikman that I posted a link to at the beginning of this year. – If you prefer to read a book then Why we get fat and what to do about it by Gary Taubes is popular with many people.
    There is clear evidence that its insulin levels we need to control, rather than calories, because raised insulin levels prevent the body from accessing stored fat. There are no firm daily targets for carb intake in Dr MM book but most of us who have been successful have found it best to start off aiming for 50g of carbs a day and if we didn’t loose weight at that level drop it down to 20g a day.
    I hope this helps you. – There is a regular weekly challenge, where people on the forum share their aims for the week and discuss progress. On that thread you will find a mixture of people from newcomers to those of us who have had success with this way of eating and hang around on the forum to offer a helping hand to newcomers. – Do join us.

• posted by MaggieBath
    on

Hi SC1 – It’s one of life’s injustices that when men apply themselves the weight just falls off whereas our bodies want to hang on to a greater percentage of fat. Regarding constipation, if you look at Golden Paste it’s a gentle solution and people are reporting good results for Fibromyalgia https://laurachamberlain.co.uk/2017/09/18/using-golden-paste-turmeric-for-fibromyalgia-and-endometriosis/
    The best place for more information is a FB Group called Turmeric Users UK.

• posted by susanecarroll1
    on

JGwen and MaggieBath
    Thank you very much for your replies. I will look into your suggestions.
    Thank you again.

Please log in or register to post a reply.